Chapter Thirty-Three

Late October, 2000

When we finished filming 'Stan', Marshall and I flew back to New York to do Saturday Night Live, where he was the musical guest. It was our first time performing the song live together. 

When it was over, we flew directly to Detroit. For two weeks, I stayed there. Two weeks of uninterrupted time with my boyfriend and his family. We did everything together; watching movies, cooking meals, playing games, and celebrating Marshall's birthday. We kept it low-key- just him, the girls and I at his house. Lainey, Hailie and I even baked him a cake. 

Soon Marshall had to start the Anger Management Tour. And of course I followed. It sort of just happened, performing 'Stan' on tour with them. Everyone loved our performance on SNL. So when management found out I'd already be accompanying them on the first few stops in New Jersey and New York, I was easily convinced to sing. 

I love looking over at Marshall as I sing every night, seeing him pump up the crowd by swinging his arm in the air for them to do the same. My own personal hype man. He mouths along to the lyrics, which always makes me smile because I do the same when he raps. And around his neck he always wears a chain with a diamond encrusted D12 pendent, similar to the one he gave me to wear on stage.

They match the diamond earrings I currently wear, another gift from Marshall. He bought them just because.

As much as I love sharing the stage with Marshall, my favorite part about tour is when he has free time. We spend a lot of it by ourselves in bed- catching up on sleep and otherwise. But I like when we're hanging out with everyone else too. All the guys are crazy and it's been a lot of fun. A whole different experience from my usual tour life.

"Yo, Em. Three on three, lets go." Swifty says, a basketball under his arm as he comes into our hotel room with the rest of D12 behind him. That's what they do in their free time, before a concert. Play basketball, or record music, or work out in the gym, or just goof off. There's never a dull moment. 

"Nah dawg, you guys go on ahead. I'mma chill here." Marshall says from behind me as we lay together on the couch. Marshall has been watching tv, while I busy myself cleaning the lens on my camera.

"Whatever man." he scoffs. They all leave, making comments about Marshall being whipped under their breath, and though he yells some not so nice things back, Marshall doesn't actually seem all that bothered.

"If you want to go, you should go." I tell him after a moment, "Just because I'm here doesn't mean I expect you to spend every second with me. You can do things on your own and I won't be upset."

I can feel him shrug, "I know, but I got plenty of time to kick it with 'em. I wanna be with you while you're here."

I know what he means. In a few hours it'll be concert time again and then I'm leaving in the morning. Not a ton of time left to ourselves, but we already have plans for me to join him again next week. More than once we've both mentioned how we wished I could just stay the whole tour. It's just too much time for me to take off unfortunately.

I sit up to face him with a smile.

"That's very sweet. But I think you should go hangout with your friends. They're going to start resenting me soon." I joke, though it is an actual fear. "Go have fun. I'll be here when you come back."

"You sure?" He checks. It's like he think's I'm trying to trick him. Like I don't actually mean it.

"Yes- go!" I smile.

He kisses me quickly and runs after them, jokingly yelling like a little kid, "Guy's wait up! Mom said yes!"

Alone, I spend some time songwriting. I'll have to get back into the studio soon, I have a bunch to record if I ever want to release another album. Unlike my last label, Interscope isn't giving me any deadlines. But I'm excited. And if I can release another album in the next year, I can take a break for a while.