Chapter Twenty-Five

~September 7, 2000~

Unless you count 'Stan', I've not released any new music this year. No albums, no singles, no music videos, no other collaborations. Only works-in-progress while I've been busy creating my next album. But nothing is nominated this year.

So there is no reason I need to be going to the Video Music Awards tonight. But I am.

I always have an open invitation to the show-- the perks of being a popular award-winning artist I guess. But when MTV contacted me, asking if I'd want to present- even without any music up for nomination- I said sure. I was already going to the after parties. Might as well go to the actual event, check out the new up and coming artists and see the old ones I love.

The dress I chose was a little more daring than any I've ever worn before. It's beautiful and colorful- but very revealing. 

I'm really feeling myself in it

I'm really feeling myself in it. Beautiful and sexy. I left my hair down in its natural waves and did my makeup the way I've liked it lately. It's more than I would ever use to wear, but not enough to make me look caked-on. Just different.

I showed up late- though that was an accident. But a fashionably late entrance is fine.

I'm the last one to walk inside, everyone already seated and the doors shut. I can hear Rage Against The Machine performing 'Testify' on the other side. The show is well past started.

One of the VMA producers finds me immediately, all in a tizzy that I wasn't here on time especially since I'm a presenter. And during a commercial break they let me in, the producer personally leading me to my seat. 

On the way, Gisele Bündchen stops me and gives me a hug- we've been seeing a lot of each other lately with her being a close friend of Angie's and going out clubbing with us. But the producer is trying to usher me to my seat before they go back on air, so we make promises to meet up at the after party and I'm on my way again. 

We find my place and just before I can sit I hear my name yelled. Looking on the other side of my section, I see Proof waving at me with his usual friendly smile. Dre, sitting in front of him, looks to see what he's yelling about, and nods at me in greeting. And beside them is Marshall...who's facing forward, steadily ignoring me.

I expected that, but it still hurts.  

I smile and wave halfheartedly to them before taking my seat, just as the show begins. I'm glad it does. I need something to focus my attention on.

They give out awards like they normally do. The talented Macy Gray wins Best New Artist and N'Sync wins Best Pop Video. Sisqo and Britney Spears perform. And when they announce the winner of Best Male Video, Eminem wins for 'The Real Slim Shady'. And I clap for him, as I do for every other artist who has won tonight. More so because I really am happy for him. I'll always be.