Chapter Twenty-One

~July 21, 2000~

The reality of it all doesn't hit me till Marshall and I are in the car, driving out of Logan Airport.

I've been away from Boston for five whole years. But it feels like a lifetime. It was another life, when I lived here. 

 "So whereabouts did you say you grew up again?" Marshall asks as he follows the exit signs.

"South Boston. Off Dorchester Street." I say, a bit distracted as I take in the view of the cityscape outside my window.

"Oh, yeah..." He says, flipping on his turn signal and changing lanes. 

I roll down the window, sticking my arm out to enjoy the breeze, Marshall has some old LL Cool J playing on the radio. It's July and the weather is hot, 99 degrees and humid, but I've always liked driving with the windows down. I'm dressed for the weather at least, in jean shorts and a tank top. I still have my baseball hat and sunglasses on as a 'disguise'. 

Marshall and I have a hour car ride ahead of us to the concert venue in Worcester. I've toured there before. I thought he was crazy for wanting to pick me up, but he insisted. I enjoy being on the road though, just driving and listening to music. I'm just glad we're passing through Boston and not....

I glance around, paying more attention, surprised to see the familiar surroundings of the Seaport. Marshall didn't take the turn for the highway like he was suppose to.

I look over at him, "Where are we going?"

"You're gonna show me your hood." He says.

"No." I shake my head, "I mean, what about the concert? We can't-"

"We got time." he says softly, glancing over at me. I give in, directing him exactly where he needs to go. There is a small part of me that want's to see it as well. It's been so long.

"You see that building, the one with a 'C' on it?" I ask, as Marshall parks where I instructed him on the street. In front of us, where I'm pointing, is a brick project building identical to all the ones around it. He nods, "That's where I lived. On the second floor."

I take off my sunglasses, to get an unobscured view

I take off my sunglasses, to get an unobscured view. A sudden strong desire to walk in comes to me. The tiny two bedroom-barely able to call it an apartment- was where I lived with my Mother for most of my life. My room was the size of my closet now- smaller. That's so crazy to think of. I decorated it with drawings and lyric pages. The only view from the windows were other project buildings.

"Does your mom still live here?" Marshall asks, looking at my old home through the windshield. 

"I...I don't know." Honestly I hadn't thought about it. She could be inside the building right now. The thought makes my stomach twist with nerves. 

Marshall drives away and like he did for me in Detroit, I give him a little tour of the city I grew up in. And as we pass through South Boston- or as the locals call it, Southie- I forget about my nerves and smile a little. I grew up here, I have memories here- a lot good even. I missed this place. I tell Marshall stories, pointing out places of my childhood; where I went to school, all my old hang outs and favorite spots.