Chapter Twenty-Six

The rest of the VMA's were pretty much a blur after I presented, spent half watching the show while socializing with my peers and sneaking glances at Marshall.

He won Video of the Year for 'The Real Slim Shady' too. A very successful night. I wanted to congratulate him- talk to him- but I lost him in the chaos backstage and didn't get a chance to speak to him again after. I'm sure he didn't want to talk to me anyways.

I link back up with Pink, when it's all done. I had already been invited to Puff Daddy's after party- he's going big this year to celebrate his girlfriend J.Lo's win. And I may or may not have heard from Nicole during our last phone conversation that her husband would be attending as well, accompanied by his protégé. 

The VIP section of Edge- the newest nightclub in the city- overlooks the dance floor where a DJ spins the latest club hits. Everything is decorated in black and gold- reminding me of New Years Eve- giving a glamorous look to it all. Bottles of champagne on every table, all seated with prominent celebs. There's even an ice sculpture of J.Lo herself, surrounded by all sorts of desserts. Those two always go all out. Hopefully tonight though it wont end in any shots fired.

Giselle and her entourage sit with us behind the velvet ropes. I can see they keep their distance from Pink- her not too friendly to them either- but they warm up quick to each other once they realize they're all down to party. We pour ourselves a glass each of the champagne, toasting to the night, before ordering more drinks.

Dancing comes next. Giselle and her friends join us a bit, but are more interested in drinking and trips to the bathroom for their next fix than to actually dance with us. Pink on the other hand is fun to dance with. She's so carefree and wild. I try to match her energy as best as I can, moving to the beat of the music.

And together, the singers in us apparently can't help but to sing along to song after song. From Jay-Z's 'Big Pimpin' to Destiny Child's 'Say My Name' to DMX's 'Party Up' and more- we sing and move along to the music. Even, Pink's song 'There You Go' was played, which she was very excited about. 

And when 'Forgot About Dre' comes on I have the courage to rap the entirety of it in my tipsy state, making us both laugh. I was having so much fun I would often forget to keep my eye out for Marshall, who is still a no show.

If he wants to ignore me, pretend I don't exist- fine. He can be that way. It's not like he refused to allow me to do the same once.

When the next song ends, Pink zeroes in on some guy she's been eyeing and I walk towards the bar for another drink needing a break. I sit, patiently waiting for the bartender to finish what he's doing before I bother him to order. It's not long though before I feel eyes on me, and I sense someone standing near me. I turn in that direction to see a face I recognize.

But he's not the white rapper I want looking at me. And he's not much of a rapper these days anyways. Mark Wahlberg has turned actor, a big name in the box offices in recent years.

 Mark Wahlberg has turned actor, a big name in the box offices in recent years