Chapter Twenty-Nine

~September 10, 2000~

We decided two days was not nearly enough time together. So Marshall invited me to come stay with him in Detroit. I initially didn't want to get in the way of his time with his family but he insisted. So I of course agreed, even though I'd only be staying for less than a day before I had to leave again. I'll take any extra time I can get.

Marshall takes a morning flight home and I'm to follow on an evening one. We both would have loved to have gone together but that would only attract attention that neither of us want right now.

For the time being, we're keeping our relationship private. A mutual decision. We won't keep it from the people that matter, but we also won't be announcing it outright to the world.

Dating is tough enough without the constant public scrutiny. I mean, when everybody thought we were together over the summer, they went crazy, tearing us to shreds even. We were on the cover of every tabloid magazine, hot topic on every radio and television show. Paparazzi following me constantly, always trying to catch us together. I'm not sure how much worse it'll be once the truth is out, but I'm in no rush to find out.

We both already wen't through such public relationships and breakups. We just want to enjoy each other as long as we can before the media tries to ruin it. Not that I'll let them.

Murphy and I walk side by side towards JFK, taking our time since the private jet will wait to depart till we board. Since everything went so smoothly during our last trip to Detroit, well...security-wise, I was able to convince Murphy I didn't need extra protection this time. Jax and Tony are great on tour and for big events and stuff, but not necessary right now. 

"Did Sarah finish the bathroom renovations?" I ask, striking up a conversation with my quiet bodygaurd. Since settling in New York, my team has made it their home as well. Including Murphy and his wife. And over the last year Sarah has been completely redoing the flat that they live in, making it their own. She even helped me with my own place. If she wanted to, she could be an amazing interior designer.

"Yep." he sighs, "She's onto the spare room now."

"Really? That was quick. What's she going to do with that room?" I ask. 

"Nursery." 

I stop him, with an excited smile, "Is there anything you want to tell me Murphy?"

"Not yet." he shakes his head. He doesn't look like he is going to say anything else, but then adds, "Sarah is just...hopeful."

They've been trying for a while now- his wife sharing that information with me once. But so far, nothing. That must be really tough. I give him a small smile, knowing he doesn't want to talk further about it, and we continue walking.

The usual mob of paparazzi are all crowding the entrance, waiting for the next celebrity to make an appearance. But that's nothing new.

I see a few fans too waving at me with pictures for me to autograph so I make sure to stop to sign them, smiling and making small talk with them. Murphy stands guard behind me.

"Katherine!" A photographer calls to me. "You look beautiful!"

"Thank you." I manage politely as I sign my last autograph, giving the pap the smile that they want as a flash goes off in my face.

But that opens the gates to more comments and questions being thrown at me. Their camera's flashing all around in a blinding manner.

I put a hand on Murphy's arm so I can follow him, his other arm free- preparing to block out any paparazzi that get too close if necessary. The only thing he can't block out is anything they have to say to me.