Chapter Thirty-Two

October 3, 2000

Day 1

I show up to the set of Stan as instructed; makeup free and my hair down, to give myself an overall natural look for my role. We're filming inside a warehouse in LA, where they've built an entire set and I'm shown to my very own trailer in the lot.

I came with my own little entourage today; Bree- who will assist me, Murphy- who will be my constant security, and Jax and Tony- on standby, guarding my trailer. I feel like it's over the top for just a film set, but I know Marshall appreciates it. And I do feel more secure having them around all the time now. 

Someone from the wardrobe department comes by with clothes and the item I'll be wearing throughout the whole shoot: a fake baby bump. And while they strap it on me, I look at myself in the mirror. It's a shocking site. I'm not sure what else I was expecting but I actually look pregnant. I caress my new belly jokingly, laughing at the absurdity of it all. Still, something in my chest tightens at the same time. I push it away.

When Marshall first suggested I be in the video I didn't think of what part I'd play, only happy I'd be apart of it with him. But then I was given the role of Stan's pregnant- soon to be murdered- girlfriend. Definitely not what I was expecting. But the whole concept of the video is great.

Dre enters my trailer then and laughs at my appearance as well, "Damn, you really look knocked up."

"Weird right?" I say, putting my hands on the bump.

 "You sure there ain't a 'lil Shady in there?" He jokes.

I blush, too embarrassed to respond to that. But there is absolutely no way I could be pregnant anyways. I'm on the pill and just...no.

Together, Dre and I go through the wardrobe to find what will work for my outfit. Most of the shirts don't fit, the fake belly popping out. I never pictured myself picking out maternity clothes  with Dre like this. Nicole and I will have a good laugh about this later. We finally settle on a green sheer top and shorts for my first outfit and a t-shirt with boxer shorts and a bathrobe too for another.

Not the most glamorous look, but that's the point. At least I'll be comfortable.

For now I'm relieved of the fake bump, it's not that heavy but it's foreign and I prefer not to wear it unless I have to. Dre takes me to set- a half built house already surrounded by camera's and people putting the finishing touches on it. I'm introduced to Phil Atwell by Dre, a name I know well from all his work on previous music videos I've seen of Marshall and Dre's. I'm excited to work with them both on this project. 

I also meet the man himself: Stan. Or rather I meet the man portraying Stan, Devon Sawa. We chat a little. I tell him how much I like his movies, from Casper and the Little Giants to Idle Hands and Final Destination. And we get to know each other a bit since we'll be working so closely.

His appearance threw me off at first. He has the whole Slim Shady look-a-like vibe going with his bleached hair and white t-shirt. He really does look a little like Marshall, fitting the part of Stan well. But nothing is as good as the real thing.

Devon and I decide to wander around to get to know the area we'll be working in for the next few days. The house set is made to look dark and a mess, to parallel the mindset of Stan I guess. The basement part is the most unsettling.

I take it all in- the pictures of Marshall lining every inch of wall space , a mannequin dressed like him, TV playing clips of him on loop- and almost want to laugh. It's overwhelming, but given the situation for the video it's perfect, if not a bit terrifying.