Chapter Fourteen

Slumped in the back seat of the car on the way to the club, I tell myself over and over again how stupid I am. 

Friends?  How is this ever going to work?

It's just so easy to slip back into things with Marshall. He makes me smile and I always have so much fun with him. I gravitate towards him and crave his company. We've always had a connection. 

This might be a terrible idea. But nothing is going to happen between us, tonight or ever. I can't do it again. I've forgiven him and want to move on. Give being friend a real chance. As hard as it'll be, it needs to stay friendly between us- nothing more. I want back that friendship we had before we complicated it. I want to at least try.

My driver pulls up to the entrance, and I stare out the window at the club. Situated between two large non-descript structures, stands a three-story brick building. It doesn't look like much- maybe an apartment or an office space. In fact, it would be hard to recognize it as a club if it wasn't for the bouncer standing guard, a few paparazzi and the line of people outside the door hoping for a chance to gain entry even if their name isn't on the list. 

The only thing indicating it is actually a club is a small sign reading The Rose Room in discrete lettering above the door. Inside is one of New York City's exclusive night clubs, offering a more chic and luxurious clubbing experience that emphasizes privacy. I believe one of the Jackson's is part owner. A club designed by the rich and famous for the rich and famous. It's the perfect place to host an after party for celebrities.

The car door is opened for me and my driver offers a hand to help me as I step out. I thank him, adjusting my dress, before I walk towards the club- paparazzi camera's flashing and more questions hurled at me.

"Katherine, how do you feel about your VMA win? No date tonight- are you meeting anyone inside? Miss Arden- any comment on what Chris Rock said about you? Katherine! Katherine!"

I ignore them all, focused on each step I take as the large, red double doors are opened for me and I walk right in and directly up a large set of stairs leading to the main area of the Rose Room.

The DJ on stage switches from Jay-Z's Big Pimpin' to Biggie's Mo Money Mo Problems. The dance floor near the stage occupies a number of recognizable couples, all dancing provocatively. There's a soft glow of red throughout the otherwise dimly lit club, casting the half dressed woman dancing and the hungry-eyed men watching in it's light. Large dark leather couches fill the seating areas by the bar with notable celebrities sitting in most of them, conversing merrily.  Alcohol is flowing and more than one drug is being passed around, the air tainted with a mix of cigar and marijuana smoke.

It is a party after all.

There's no cameras here, no reporters or fans. Just fellow stars celebrating together and having a good time. After another hectic award show- it's their time to let loose.

There are so many familiar faces in the crowd. I have a quick conversation with a tipsy Jennifer Lopez before her entourage leads her back to Puffy. Will and Jada convince me to have a shot with them in celebration, and I manage to get away with only having one compared to their three, before they make their way onto the dance floor. I have a brief run in with Fred Durst who smiles and winks at me. Then wave back to Snoop and Dre across the room as they talk with Chris Rock, tempted to join them but decide to find Marshall first. And just as I make it to the bar, Lenny Kravitz greets me with a hug and kiss before he's off- joining Prince in a VIP section.

Sometimes I can't believe this is my life. That I'm allowed in the same room as these people. More than that, I'm wanted here. An invited guest to be amongst some of the biggest icons of my generation. I might not think I belong here sometimes- the thought that I am is still impossible to wrap my mind around in comparison to these people- but they do. I'm a peer, an equal. It's mindblowing.