Chapter Twenty-Two

With forty-four sold out shows across North America, the Up In Smoke tour is said to be the biggest hip hop tour ever, and from what I can see they're not wrong

No ones seen so many big Hip Hip names on one tour before- Dre hasn't even been on tour in years. And so they wanted this to be huge and give the fans a real show, something that they will never forget. 

Walking backstage of the Centrum Center, I can already tell it will be. I see a large pimped-out tricycle. A purple car that they're testing the hydraulics on. Stages that are designed to look like streets and buildings. What looks like a cryogenic chamber. Large light up marijuana leaves. And being brought to the stage currently was a 15-foot skull. All so elaborate. 

Marshall had given me the option of hanging with him during sound check or joining later on. I chose the latter so I could check in, get some food and freshen up a bit at the hotel after being on a plane and in a car for most of the day. 

Now just a few hours before the concert starts, I navigate the hectic area, searching for the room Marshall said he'd be in. The pass hanging around my neck that he gave me, granting me full access. I've never been backstage of a concert I wasn't performing in. The pressure is off of me for once, but the general excited energy of it all is still palpable.

I'm finally pointed in the right direction by a roadie. Each room is labeled. Snoop's, Cube's, one for Dre. I pop my head in there and say a quick hello to him. Then I see the door labeled 'Eminem' and I walk right in to...a very strange and comical sight.

While a few members of D12 are lounging around the room, Marshall is standing in the middle of the room, being filmed miming oral sex from a blow up doll. I can hear him groaning and saying vulgar things in his Ken Kaniff voice.

"Uh, fuck yeah." he moans as the cameraman laughs, "Suck it-" 

"Uhm," Everyone's head's turn towards me, and I grin as I see Marshall's 'deer caught in headlights' face, "...should I come back later?"

The cameraman stops filming and walks away. But Marshall plays it off smoothly- as only he does- and without missing a beat continues still in his Ken Kaniff voice, "This won't take long. Mmmm. You can stay and watch."

"Fool, put that shit away. A lady is in the room." Proof pipes up, coming to give me a hug.

"What?" Marshall laughs childishly, back to his regular voice, and teases, "Katie likes it."

"No I don't." I say.

"See, dawg." Proof shakes his head, going back to where he was on one of the couches with Denaun.

"Is that an...Insane Clown Posse?" I chuckle, seeing the face painting on the doll as Marshall comes closer.

"Pussy." Marshall states, "Insane Clown Pussy. Meet Silent Gay. Faggy 2Dope is 'round here somewhere. Gonna be our special guests on stage tonight." he punches the inflatable to the side.