Chapter Thirty-Nine

February 21, 2001

Since flying back from Europe earlier this month, I've been unable to readjust my sleep schedule- a bad case of jet leg. I'm tired all the time, sleeping more than usual. 

So it's unfortunate that the night after finally going to bed at a normal time I was up at the crack of down the morning we're suppose to leave for the Grammys with my head in a toilet, throwing up everything I ate in the past 24 hours.  

Though it's already planned for Elton John to perform 'Stan' in my place with Marshall during the Grammys, showing his support against the controversy Marshall is currently enduring, I was still going to go to watch the performance and see if I win any of my own awards. 

Marshall and I weren't going together as an official couple- we're still keeping our relationship private- but as two collaborating artists. Versace sent me a dress to wear, I had called my hair stylist and make up artist to meet me in LA. The tickets were bought, the hotel booked. It was all planned out.

But my plans have changed.

Marshall knocks on the bathroom door, his voice worried, "You okay in there?" 

"Go away!" I wipe my mouth. 

My head is pounding with a headache, making me feel lightheaded and dizzy. And I'm so nauseous, I don't know what to do with myself. I feel like I have the worst hangover of my life or something. 

I hear the door handle moving, but I stop him, "Please don't come in. I don't want you to see me like this."

How incredibly unattractive would that be.

"Baby, come on. Don't be ridiculous, I don't care. Let me help-."

"No." I moan. "Go away, please. I don't even want you to hear me." I gag. "I'll be fine, just go."

"I don't wanna leave you like this." he says, "I could probably still cancel-"

"No! I'm fine. Really, it's just a bug." I sniffle. He can't cancel a Grammy performance because I don't feel good. "You go. I'll call Bree. Have a safe trip, call me when you land."

He hesitates,  "A'ight I love you. Feel better baby."

I barely finish telling him I love him back when I'm puking again. I throw up until theres nothing left to throw up. My stomach is as empty as it could possibly be.

After a long nap on the bathroom floor, I open the door to find a sleeve of crackers, a glass of water, and a bottle of Pepto Bismol on the floor. I smile. Marshall had to help somehow.  

After I get all three in my system, I take a shower and feel a lot better. This must be one of those 24-hour bugs. Maybe even food poisoning- I did eat take out last night. I downgrade my sickness by the second.

Marshall calls me, letting me know he landed and wondering how I'm doing. I update him, assuring him I'm fine, and tell him I'll watch his performance on TV. 

When we hang up I call Bree, asking if she could pick some things up for me at the store. 

The girls aren't home- they're with Marshall's family since neither of us were suppose to be here. So I'm alone in the silent house.

That is, until the guards from the gate call, telling me I have a guest here. Sarah, Murphy's wife.

"Let her in." I tell them, heading downstairs to unlock the front door. 

Since I moved to Detroit, Murphy and Sarah have been in New York packing up to move too. I gave Murphy the time off. Which wasn't easy for him to do, but he's been delegating his duties to Jax and Tony.