Chapter Eighteen

Marshall's studio was almost impossible to find. A grey building set between some warehouses and businesses, it didn't look like much. 

I managed to convince a weary Murphy that Jax and Tony should stay behind in the car. I didn't want to look crazy- or worse afraid- strolling in with three huge bodyguards surrounding me. Murphy even said he'll only escort me safely inside and leave to give me space. 

When we walk in, I feel like walking right back out. What am I even doing here? I can't even work on my own songs, who am I to give an opinion about anything? I'll be no use to Marshall if he needs any thing constructive. But I promised Proof, and they are expecting me so I continue.

I make my way through a maze of different hallways inside the building. Proof didn't say which room they'd be in, making them difficult to locate. The first was empty. The next, a red light on above the door indicating not to enter while the occupants record. But a peep through the window shows no Marshall inside either. It's not till I get to the end of the hall, when I hear familiar voices coming out of the room, that I know I've found them.

I push open the ajar door further and pause. Inside Proof is sitting in a chair, Marshall standing. Both in front of the soundboard with their backs to me. While Proof is in a bright yellow tracksuit and black hat, Marshall is wearing all grey; sweatpants, t-shirt and hat. And it seems I've walked in to them freestyling.

Proof flows with the beat as he spits, "I know the truth, so now I'm baring all

Proof flows with the beat as he spits, "I know the truth, so now I'm baring all. I make R. Kelly confess he stole his first style from Aaron Hall. A whack MC with a gun, I'm not one. And when see Kurt Cobain tell him 'bring back my shotgun'. I got one style for all y'all bazooka. A'yo if I was 2Pac I'd come back from Cuba."

Marshall laughs at that line- bringing a smile to my face at the sound- and when Proof finishes, he takes over. As always, I'm amazed at their talent. To rap like this off the top of their heads, and so well and on beat, it's incredible. 

I stand in the doorway to listen in for a few minutes. They go back and forth rapping and laughing, not wanting to stop their fun with my entrance. 

"Y'all wanna step to this, yo I come from the best hood." Marshall raps, "Detroit, the Motown, where it goes down...Kick the flow sound, rappers they know now. But kick a pro now...

They've both been slowing down a bit and I awkwardly debate whether to say something or knock to acknowledge my arrival- no longer wanting to creepily be standing in the doorway watching them.

Proof, who had been swiveling his chair back and forth, was the first to notice me, "A'yo! Katie!" he jumps out of his chair, "You made it!"

Marshall snaps his head towards me, surprise clear on his face.