Chapter Thirty-Eight

The next few months eventually pass and while some days seem to just drag on, others fly by. I categorize them as the days I'm away from Marshall and the days I'm with Marshall.

Halloween

After I left Boston, Marshall continued on his tour while I went to New York to work on my album. Halloween was the next time I saw him, but only for the night in Detroit. I no longer feel like I'm intruding on Marshall and the girl's family time, since they invited me to go trick or treating. I feel like part of the family, dressing up and walking the neighborhood for candy. 

I painted my face and wore all black, dressed as a cat. Lainey and Hailie had princess costumes. While Marshall wore his Jason mask and orange jumpsuit from his concerts. The plus was, since we were all in costumes, no one knew who we really were. It was wonderfully normal.

The girls consumed so much candy that they were up well past their bedtime. But once they did fall asleep Marshall and I watched a scary movie, though I hid my face in his arm the whole time while he laughed. He didn't argue when I stopped the movie, leading him to bed instead. I don't think we've ever finished one movie together.

But soon enough Marshall had to go. He had a concert the next day in a different city, and so I fly to New York and count the days till I see him again. 

Thanksgiving

The next time I saw Marshall, I was able to take a week off around Thanksgiving and flew to Marshall while he was in California for a stretch of shows around the state.

He wasn't in the best mood though. There was an uproar over his four Grammy nominations, especially from the gay community. They called him homophobic for his use of the 'F' word. There was outrage and protesting against him. I was even criticized too, with the release of the 'Stan' music video that month they questioned even my own nominations. No matter how many times Marshall denies any hatred and how the people who know him- including me- make public statements in his support, they wanted him banned.

I felt bad his nominations were over shadowed by all this. But it seems controversy and Eminem will always go hand in hand. 

Once Hailie, Lainey and I reunited with him though, his mood lifted. We went to the beach and sightseeing together.

And on Thanksgiving we went to Dre's house for dinner with everyone. Newly pregnant Nicole had it catered, and it was lovely. Especially getting to spend so much time together. I was thankful for that the most. 

Christmas

Before I knew it, it was almost Christmas. I was flying back and forth from New York to Detroit all month, even though Marshall wasn't home yet. I got the girls to help me decorate the house before his arrival. We got a Christmas tree, stockings, wreaths, and little knick-knacks that the girls loved. They help me bake cookies and buy presents for Marshall. And while Marshall was glad he's able to afford presents this year, he was stressed about buying all the girl's presents while on tour so I offered to shop and wrap for him too.

When Marshall finally arrived home a few days before Christmas, he loved what we did. Well he loved how happy it made Hailie, Lainey and I at least. 

Watching children eager and excited for Santa made the holidays magical for me again. We watched Christmas movies, made gingerbread houses and decorated the tree. I loved creating these special moments together that I'll remember forever. 

I even did the impossible. I made some progress with Kim. Sort of.

For Christmas, Marshall invited Kim over to watch the girls open presents from Santa and celebrate Hailie's birthday. It was very mature of him, doing what's best for the girls instead of what's easiest for him. I respect him for it.