Chapter Twenty

July 11, 2000

"Hello baby. Don't you look so handsome today." I say, my voice taking on an involuntary high-pitched tone, "Can I get a kiss?"

Little Truice, sitting in my lap, looks up at me and leans in for a peck on the lips.

"Mwah!" I say, emphasizing the kiss and making him giggle. Truice has inherited a lot from his parents; his mother's sweet smile, his fathers ears and eyes. He's completely adorable and a perfect combination of Nicole and Dre.

 He's completely adorable and a perfect combination of Nicole and Dre

The restaurant Nicole picked was at the Mirage Hotel. She's staying here with Dre while the tour stops at it's New York venues. And while she's in the city, we're having a girls lunch. A girl and little boy lunch.

The hotel is high end, meaning the restaurant is as well. The dining area is located on one of the top floors, with floor to ceiling windows throughout overlooking the city. It's decorated in white, neutral tones and expensive furnishings. Every table has an unnecessary amount of cutlery and wine glasses- that we personally had removed for Truice's sake- and fresh cut orchids as centerpieces. The only people occupying the restaurant are old and wealthy- mostly men here on business lunches- and therefor do not care about our celebrity status. Still we're seated away from others, more likely because of the toddler in our company than anything else.

"So...How's everything?" I ask her after we order some drinks, Truice still sitting in my lap as he gnaws at a roll of bread.

"Great. You know, same old same old. Andre has been so busy with the Up In Smoke tour recently, I've hardly seen him. That's why I joined these past few days- and to see you of course." She waves her hand at me.

"Well I'm glad you came! I'm happy to see all of you, especially this little guy." I say, changing my tone to a more babyish one, "Huh, baby?" 

Nicole laughs. "He's no baby anymore. He's a big boy, aren't you Tru?" 

Truice nods, "Mmmhhmm!"

"And now that Trucie is getting older..." She adds, looking at me excitedly, "Andre and I really want to start trying for another one. So our kids will be close in age, you know?"

"Really?" I smile, "Oh, I'm so happy for you guys!"

"Thank you." She beams, proud of her family. But then she turns the conversation. "What about you? When are you gonna have kids? Hm? You'd be an amazing mother. You're so good with Tru."

Though that question is not something anyone- especially a 22 year old single woman - wants to be asked, I don't actually mind since it's coming from Nicole. She says it with no malice, only pure interest from a place of love. And I'm actually pleased to hear an awesome mother such as herself would think I'd be one as well some day.

"I think I have a few steps before I start popping out babies." I laugh.

"You're right! You need a man. And you need to let me set you up with one." She says matter of factly.