Chapter Thirty

Hailie was right. The house is huge. And beautiful. They show me room after room- the gorgeous kitchen, a game room, home theater, an amazing studio, and indoor pool. They tell me about all the cool stuff in the backyard, including a trampoline and playground, and then bring me to their bedrooms to show off their new toys. Just when I think we've covered the whole place, we turn a corner to another wing of the house. It's the type of place you'd see on MTV Crib's- not that Marshall would ever allow cameras inside here. 

And once we're done with the tour, we get ready for dinner. I help Marshall make macaroni and cheese and we throw on some music as we cook. And as we eat we sit around a table together laughing and talking. The whole time Marshall's hand resting on my thigh out of their view under the table.

We kind of thought it would be best to ease the kids into the idea of their Daddy/Uncle dating someone new. I want to be a positive addition to their lives- someone they appreciate having around not someone they resent. So tonight I'll just be Marshall's friend one more time, reminding them how much they like me, before we actually tell them so it's not a shock. 

After dinner, I help him clean up as the girls play, sneaking kisses when they're not watching. But it's not long before he tells the girls it's time for bed. Apparently they have school in the morning and it's already past their bedtime. After a few minutes of protesting, they finally give me hugs goodnight and Marshall- telling me he'll be right back- carries Hailie under one arm while Lainey sits on his shoulder, bringing them upstairs to tuck them in.

I love seeing this side of Marshall. The domestic, family man side. 

I plan to just sit and wait for him to come back, fine with doing nothing. But as time passes, I get bored and wander, looking around. In the hallway are some pictures hung up on the wall. Pictures of Hailie and Lainey. There is one of Nate, a school picture. One of someone I believe is his Uncle Ronnie, it at least looks similar to one Marshall showed me a long time ago. 

And then there is one of Marshall from before I met him, obviously. He's holding baby Hailie in his arms. Hailie is of course, adorable- so small and precious. And he looks so different with his natural brown hair and no tattoos or piercings. He has a bit of a goatee and sideburns as well. But I'd recognize that face anywhere. Still as handsome then as he is now.

Arms wrap around my middle from behind, startling me. But I realize quickly it's just Marshall and relax. He rests his head on my shoulder, sighing into me as he asks softly, "What are you lookin' at?"

I point to the picture and comment, "Hailie has your ears, I never noticed that before." 

You can really tell in the photo, the two are like twins.

"Yeah," He chuckles, "Poor kid. She's growin' into them though."

"They're cute. I like your ears. But that goatee and those sideburns...." I trail off, teasing.

"What? You don't like 'em?" Marshall asks, "I thought I looked good."

"Well...," He tickles my sides, making me laugh, only stopping when I say, "You do! You pull it off. I just would suggest not bringing the sideburns back okay?" I turn around in his arms so I can look up at him. He still has a little bit of scruff on his face from the two days he spent with me- clearly he hasn't shaved yet. I place my hand on his cheek, rubbing back and forth a bit, "This isn't bad either...But I'd like you no matter what weird facial hair you decide to do." 

Marshall makes a silly face at me, sticking out his tongue. I do one back at him, scrunching my face up. Then I lean in and kiss him.

"So...girls are asleep...what do you wanna do?" he asks.