Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Madam Red... That name was like familiar song, one that you can always recognize the tune to yet never remember the words.

"Sounds familiar, but really I don't think I know her," you replied, focusing on the game.  You tilted your head as you always did when thinking, and saw an opening to take his knight with yours, but instead backed away in defense, and put his bishop in danger in two different directions.  You repeated the name in your head, looking everywhere for an answer, but nothing came to mind.

"That's because she is deceased, has been for three years," he spoke gravely, realizing you had his bishop trapped, so he let that go and moved his pawn in front of his queen out another space.

"Sorry master, was she related to you?" you said gently, pondering your next attack.

"She was my aunt, and I believe she knew you, or at least did."

You had no idea what this boy was talking about, and you continued evaluating the game closely.

That was always your style of playing, observe and evaluate

Somehow you knew this, and piece by piece you searched each possibility,

"Having trouble?"  Ciel coyed.

"Not at all," you answered, taking his bishop, seeing it as your best option, taking the route of using  your least valued pieces.

"Obvious." he murmmured.

"Yes, it was, but I play with observation of every piece, and possibility.  I take my time and narrow down the most worthy sacrificial moves and plans, move by move I plan my way to victory," you explained, feeling a bit prideful, though confused as to were this knowledge came from.

"I see," he simply replied, making his move without hesitation. "You see, not too long after I was born Madem Red became pregnant, but sadly lost the child and her husband in a carriage accident."

You listened to every word he said, but none seemed familiar to you.

"I'm terribly-" but before you could finish he continued.

"There was a prostitute named Daisy, a month after Madam Red lost her child, she gave birth to one of her own.  Fifteen years later her daughter was kidnapped and Daisy was left for dead.  You may wonder how these stories tie together, but the underworld of London always has its mysteries." His words  were so grave, like a death sentence. "The past two years, an eleged crime boss by the name of Mad-Blood has been kiddnapping, killing, raping, and stealing all over London.  I believe all these tie together...and that you may have answers, if we can fix your memory."

You looked at him dumbfounded, mid-move.

"Your kidding right? How could any of that-" he cut you off mid-sentence.

"Check. You checked me."

Peering at the board, it no longer seemed important to you.

"Master Ciel, forgive me, but how does any of these events have anything to do with me?"  You look back at him, questioningly.

Ciel grinned, that red eye of his glowing brightly, and he un-checked himself by taking your queen.

"You see, my butler is a very able man, especially in the underworld."

=========================CIEL, A FEW DAYS PRIOR========================

Despite Ciel's new found being as a demon, he knew his home would always be the Phantomhive manor, no matter how many times it had to be rebuilt.  Staring blankly out his study's window, he felt an odd feeling he hadn't felt since his parents passed.

Empty.

What was missing? He had everything. His home, Long-life expectantcy (demons who were turned were not immortal, just begin a much slower aging process starting at eighteen), he had plenty of money, his butler, his ever faithful servants...

 Besides, most people assumed he was dead, so his rare outtings existed only at night,  He didn't need any more people in his life anyway, as they were fragile and he refused to experience any more pain in his life.  Yet there it was.

Emptiness.  Was it his curse now?  Was this why demons chose to befriend humans? To fufill thier emptiness?

"Master, I have grave news." Sebastion declared, swinging open the doors to his study.

Ciel turned from the window, and sighed. "What is it?"

"Alois has returned. In fact, according to the news in the Underworld, he is the true identity of Mad-Blood!"

"WHAT THE HELL?!" Ciel slammed his fists into his desk, infuriated.  His mind started racing, through all the past difficult events he had to face with that damn bloke Alois. 

"Master I'm afraid that isn't it." Sebastion added, with a sinister look on his face.

"What else is there? What other news could possibly be worse?" Ciel growled, shaking in anger.

I heard all this from Grell, who was stalking me around the town when I went to fetch more vegetables from the local market. He also mentioned that he's married...to no other than the reincarnated child of Madam Red, born to a prostitute most recently murdered. So I quickly finished my shopping--"

"SHOPPING? THAT'S NOT RELEVENT!"

"Right...well I assumed I should investigate so I managed to find Alois, and I questioned him by force, on where his wife was and how he was still living.  Apparently his wife is a witch, and as you do not know a witch is simply a fallen angel's soul who resides on earth, reincarnated over and over until they can earn thier way back to the heavens,  Also turns out Alois made a deal with my one and only other master...Lucy."

"LUCY?! WHO THE HELL--"

"Calm down, Lucy is simply Lucifer, you know, Satan.  Didn't your parents ever read you Bible stories?"

"Just quit babbling and tell me what the deal was!" Ciel shouted, becoming rather impatient.

"To be Lucy's gaurd dog."

===================STAR====================

The game took a halt as Ciel filled your ears with so much information your head wanted to explode into tiny fragments.

"And you saying that little girl was me?" you inquired, perplexed.

"Yes, and I'll need you to do whatever you can to remember any details.  Seems Alois had gotten angry with you at some point and admitted you in the Asylum.  Tell me why did you marry that fool? Or was it forced? Oh-right you can't reemember..please make your move miss Star..."

The game continued for another forty minutes or so, until you had your master in check-mate.

"Your gameplay is exceptional miss Star," Ciel held out his hand to shake yours, a small but existant grin on his lips.

"...Thanks, master Ciel." you shook his hand, and for some reason as you looked up at him,  your eyes locked, for a split second.

"When we play a game, please just refer to me as Ciel."

And with that, he sent you off to bed.

.......

You figured your words with Ciel were private, so you kept them to yourself as Mey-Rin sat in her bed rambling about how beautiful Sebastion was.

"He's just so gorgeous!...oh but enough about him, what did master have to say to you? I must say he's growing to become quite handsome.  You weren't in trouble were you?"

You crawled into your bed, and replayed over the whole thing in your mind.

"Nothing, just wanted to play a game of chess...I won...you know Mey-Rin, your quite pretty with your glasses off..." you changed the subject quickly,

She smiled and blushed a little. "OH WHY THANK YOU SO MUCH! You did a lovely job today cookin'.  Now let's sleep, we have another big day tommorow!"

And with that you both blew out your candle lights.