Chapter 18

Chapter 18

======STAR======

Everything was being relived in glimpses.

Under five seconds, you saw and remembered all this.

It's Sunday afternoon in London. Most people are coming home from church, and enjoying time with their families. Red-Star Eclaire, or Star, as some called her on the streets, was playing poker with the neighborhood boys in the sidewalks.  On the dingy cement they'd make bets sometimes, in which Star would always win, whether it the prize was a few gold coins, food, or anything she found interesting. She was a young teen, barely reaching out from the grasps of childhood. To be honest, she was rather lucky.  Out of all the street rats she was considered the most wealthy. Her mother was a beautiful, kind woman, who once used to be a maid for a man who settled in England with tea trades from Japan. He was rather wealthy, but his affair with her mother and the birth of her caused him to force banishment on them when Star was only three, leaving her and her mother to be on their own. Of coarse, he generously left them enough money to at least live semi-decently for about four years, her mother working as a shopkeeper.  But it wasn't long before the rising economy struck and they were left to...well almost nothing.

But her mother's beauty was a curse and a gift.  She gave in to prostitution desperately just to have a small hole-in-the-wall home, which eventually became a somewhat-decent apartment, and to send Star to school. But it wasn't long before Star quit around the tenth grade to help her mother.  Star worked as a cleaning lady in a candy shop, for about two days a week.  Times were hard and money had to be stretched wide. But a man came one day, riding on a gold and lavender carriage, such a bold and outrageous color combination...

Her mother was inside cooking lunch in between clients, and Star was outside counting the twenty coins she made from her bets. All was fair in love and war, was what she always thought anyway...

That day it was partly cloudy, the scent of rain nearing soon. All day she was anticipating the rain.  She loved it unlike most people, perhaps because it had it's own sense of beauty to her. And it was when the blinding golden carriage passed, and slowed as her eyes gazed at it's loud colors, that she followed it's stop right in front of her. She shook her head and stepped back, a bit timid.  What man riding that would dare come to this part of town unless he wanted to die or wished to see her mother?

A butler, with long brown hair and glasses, who was handsome and had perfect posture, looked down at Star curiously. As strange as this was, it became more odd when the butler smiled kindly to her and bid her good afternoon.

He asked if she worked this area, referring to a line of prostitution as politely as he could. 

As if by cue, someone even more beautiful stepped out from the carriage as the butler hopped down and opened it's door. 

"Angus, let me speak to the lady," a blond headed gorgeous boy with eyes like the sea and a purple frock coat spoke. His voice was like honey, and for a moment Star could only stare.

"Ahem, good afternoon miss, I've seen you many time this past week around this street.  You, are lovely I must say.  Please, could you possibly honor me with your presence? Prehaps I could join you for dinner? Or have you for dinner?"

The boy said this alomost seductively, especially the last part.

'...or have you for dinner?'