Chapter 8

Chapter 8

As you carried on a bit of  late night chat with the servants, in the back of your mind you were indeed plotting.  You had to somehow break into the master's study, and look through all those papers.  You were sure in those files there had to be something about you, something about your past, anything.

You knew from your days as a...'as a what?'

Drats. Brain went dead again. Either way, from your days of whatever you were, you knew somehow that you could in fact jimmy a lock.

"Oh you guys are so funny!" you carried on, laughing at everyone's jokes.

Now for your first move.

As the laughter died down, you leaned in.  "So tell me," you looked from side to side, lowering your voice, to intensify the oncoming question.  "I know...about the master's past, well somewhat. About his parents, Madam-Red...but I'd like to know more, if that's alright, about what it was like here before I came."

Silence filled the room.  Bardory coughed, and broke it.

"Well, to be honest, the master young master has always sort of been a recluse.  He don't smile much..." Bard started.

"Yes, in fact as far as all of Europe knows he's dead." Mey-Rin stated.

"Oh come on Mey-Rin I'm sure she already knew about that!' Bard scoffed.

"Actually," you said, tilting your head curiously, "No, I didn't.  Why is that?"

Dead? As if it wasn't enough the guy was a demon!

They all looked at you for a second, then each other.

"Well, master used to be the queens's...er...guard dog. Before he was very well involved in protecting and guarding the queen, always doing her bidding, like snuffing out bad guys," said Finny, scratching his head. "It was a tradition for the Phantomhive's.  But unfortunately he seemed to have a bit of a fallout with that line of work, something we really don't know to much about, but after the second fire here he just stopped."

"Second fire?"

pop

"It's the real Tanaka!" everyone announced as you wafted smoke from around you.

"Ah!" you jumped in surprise as Tanaka had suddenly grown to be a normal height...

"What the bloody--"

"Tanaka drinks his tea to rebuild his stamina, this is what he really looks like!" exclaimed Finny.

"Oh." was all you could muster to say.

"Yes, actually there were three fires.  I have served the Phantomhives for many years, and all three times I swore this story was over.  But the master seemed compelled to always retreat back here. The second fire was due to the fire in London a few years back.  Later on there was a third fire set to this mansion, due to some...mishaps involving Alois Trancy. The master left, presuming Alois was dead, taking Sebastian with him, relieving us of our duties.  But as a month passed, he returned." Tanaka explained, pulling his glasses up.

You wondered to yourself, where you were during those fires, and how you survived the one that had engulfed London.

"We were delighted to return!" Mey-Rin exclaimed excitedly. "The young master has always been so good to us."

"Yes, before him we were pretty lost." added Bardroy.

'Lost,' you said in your head.  It was a word that rang a bell in your head, though one you could not locate.