L's successors bond.

Mello stands sloughed against a wall, his eyes are narrowed at me in an almost mistrusting way as he drools all over a chocolate bar.

Near, however, sits hugging one knee as he hovers over a jigsaw puzzle.

The noise of the pieces clicking into place is almost hypnotising.

"I'll leave you to it." Roger turns and closes the door behind him.

"What's with him... always so unenthusiastic," I grumble.

Mello squints his eyes.

I stare at him, then at Near. "Yo, Near, eye contact please, I have important things to say and you both better be listening or L will be sad."

Near looks up, his eyes like grey slits under all that fluffy white hair.

It looks so soft... like he's used a whole bottle of conditioner.

Mello's hair is like a shiny ginger ice lolly.

I sit cross-legged on the floor opposite both of them.

"What is it?" Mello asks, "Who are you?"

"I'm Freya - that's what you two will call me anyway - and I'm working with L on the Kira case." The two listen intently. "L would like you both to join the investigation as well."

"Why?" Mello demands immediately.

"To be helpful," I say.

Near speaks for the first time, "L has never asked for our help before, what's different about this time?"

I think for a second, "He's wanted to give you both some more hands-on experience... and I thought we needed help, but L's really stubborn and stuck-up so I had to convince him which was difficult but luckily we're friends!"

Near continues with his puzzle. "Ok." He shrugs.

Mello glares. "I don't want to work with Near."

I look at him. "Do you think anyone cares?"

His mouth hangs open.

Near actually sniggers.

"Sorry Mello, but the world needs detectives, you're just going to have to deal with whatever

problems you have," I tell him.

Near looks up at Mello smugly.

Mello looks like he wants to smack him in the face.

I sigh. "This isn't going to work..." I rub my nose as I think. "Mello, give Near a hug and tell him you'll stop complaining."

"WHAT!?"

"Near, you give Mello a hug and promise not to provoke him."

Near looks mildly amused.

If nuclear bombs had expressions before they exploded, that's what Mello looks like.

"No way," Mello hisses, taking some hasty steps backwards.

"I call it; hug therapy!" I clap my hands together.

"You're crazy!" Mello tells me.

I glare fiercely at him. "I'm not having the two of you fighting on a twelve-hour flight to Japan, you'll just embarrass yourselves and prevent everyone from sleeping," I say in a 'do it or else' voice.

Near stands up, I can tell he's mentally amused. "Hug me, Mello."

Mello falls over.

Near walks over to him with his arms outstretched. "Go on."