Watari is a savage old man.

We watch in silent anticipation as Higuchi sifts through a drawer of files, eventually picking out the one that concerns Matsuda.

"We're in position, we'll move on your command..." Mogi whispers over the radio.

Higuchi takes a leather notebook from his back and slowly - as if enjoying every curve of the letters - writes Matsuda's other alias, grinning horribly as he does so.

What a PRUNE.

Light slams his hand on the desk as Higuchi leaves. "He's not doing it!" he cries. "He just made a note of his name before leaving, so... he's not gonna kill him here?"

L's face drops in disappointment.

I haven't told him exactly how Kira's power works...

So he must have been looking forward to this, only to be disappointed.

Or so he thinks...

Maybe I can get him to arrest Higuchi now and we'll seize the notebook.

"Well..." I begin improvising as I speak, "we're wondering how he kills right?" I glance at L who looks at me hopefully, wondering if I'm finally going to reveal Kira's secret. "He wrote his name. That's it, and from that we can assume, considering he's no longer in a hurry..."

"That was it?" L mutters in disbelief. "It can't be... a notebook?" I can tell his mind is whirring, thinking at a level I can never dream of being capable of cause I'm so stupid.

Light groans. "What's going on!"

"Ryuzaki, do you want us to apprehend him?" Mogi asks in a hushed voice as Higuchi strides past his hiding place.

"Negative," L replies moodily "We're still, not sure, how he kills..." he says slowly.

GOOD LORD.

L, take the hint!

"You should have arrested him," I say, actually irritated with him for once.

L scowls at me, but his expression shifts to that of guilt after a moment.

He's probably remembering our conversation earlier about what I say goes, no matter what.

His future is in my hands, the least he could have done was made it easier for me to save him!

I swallow the lump in my throat.

I just hope we won't end up paying the price for such an avoidable slip-up.

I sigh and shake my head. "It doesn't matter, just... do your thing," I say stiffly.

"Freya..." L groans. "Don't be like that!"

Don't be like what?

There's a lot going on right now, a lot of potential deaths and ways that this situation could turn out to be my absolute worst nightmare.

I want my happily ever after already!

Is that too much to ask?

I will cry.

"I'm sorry!" I say impatiently, folding my arms. "I'm just really stressed out right now."

And the last thing I want is to argue with L, you know, since these scraps of days are all I might see of him forever, or at least for a long time.

L sighs and makes his way over to me.

I huff and let my watery gaze fall to the ground.

He brings our foreheads together and gazes into my eyes. "Calm down," he hushes.