I am beautiful!

We all return safely to headquarters.

Naomi is extremely relieved that Matsuda is alright.

He mopes about guiltily.

"Matsuda, what you did isn't a setback, you've really helped with the case! L is just being grumpy," I tell him.

"Well, that is his speciality..." Matsuda sighs.

Nevertheless, L scolds him before grudgingly congratulating him on his breakthrough with the case.

Near is lying upside-down on the stairs.

My face twitches.

What is he doing?

"Near?" I ask, raising my eyebrows in bewilderment as I stand next to his head.

"Hm?"

"What are you doing?" I ask, honestly curious.

There's a moment of silence before he replies, "Lying."

I gasp. "But... why?"

Near closes his eyes, "I'm tired... go away please."

I scoop him up in my arms and he frOwns.

He can't sleep on the stairs.

As I carry him up the rest of the staircase, I ask why he was trying to sleep there.

"Uh... I just liked it."

"That's nice," I muse.

Near just grunts and closes his eyes again as I (his slave) deliver him to his bedroom so that he can lie on an ACTUAL bed.

"You should lie down in bed," I tell him, gently dropping him onto the mattress.

Near stares at the ceiling.

"What's wrong?" I ask eventually.

He continues examining the wall.

I'll just go...

"Umm... Freya?" Near begins in an uncertain voice.

"Yeah?"

"How do you know that you love L...?"

"Pfft, that's easy! Because I would totally have his children!"

"Oh..." Near blinks. "Thanks for the... insight. That's not what I meant, though."

"What do you mean? Like how do I know I care about him?"

He nods.

I sit on the end of the bed and ponder my next insightful answer. "Same way I know I care about you." I grin. "I'd be sad if you were sad, and I'd wanna help you in any way I could if you needed me to. And when you're happy it makes me happy too."

Near's eyes widen slightly.

"What? Not it?"

"No... that was an adequate answer. Thank you."

PFFFFFF ADEQUATE ?!? This boy-

I laugh and mess up his hair again. "You're doing great, don't worry my loveliest snowflake."

His cheeks go adorably pink and he pulls the covers over his face. "Thanks," he mumbles. "I... care about you too."

"I know," I tell him.

【L】

The men commence their meeting. "In order to further benefit Yousuba, who should we kill next?"

Everyone's gasps ring through the room.

"WOAH THE BLATANCY IS KILLING MY EARDRUMS!"

"Quiet," L scolds.