Naomi Misora

Rem killed Higuchi.

Just like how Ryuk killed Light at the end of the story.

There's nothing we could have done, not that I would have intervened anyway.

This sets things back on course.

"There are rules for the shinigami as well?" L asks the white creature.

"Yes, the shinigami must follow certain rules that they are bound to whilst following a human."

L frowns. "So... that's why Higuchi was killed. I understand." He holds out the notebook in his fingertips.

"Do you want me to read the rules out? I've already touched it," I ask him, striding across the darkened office area.

"Yes please."

I take the death note from him.

The pages feel soft, like silk rather than made from trees, and the cover is still cold and leathery, a bit like how you'd imagine a dinosaur skin to feel like.

"The human whose name is written in this notebook shall die," I begin clearly, "this note will not take effect unless the writer has the persons face in their mind when writing his or her name, therefore people sharing the same name will not be affected. If the cause of death is written within forty seconds of writing the persons name, it will happen. If the cause of death is not specified the person will simply die of a heart attack."

Near and Mello both listen intently from across the table placed in the centre of the room.

The other men all share glances of disbelief, as though they're expecting me to grin and say; 'just kidding! This whole 'Kira' thing is a joke hahaha, go home you miserable prunes!'

I don't say that however, and instead flip to the back and begin to read the fake rules; "It also says here that if the person using this note fails to consecutively write names of people to be killed within thirteen days of each other, then the user will die. If you make this note unusable by tearing it up or burning it, all the humans who have touched the note till then will die."

"What?" Matsuda exclaims, "No way... maybe I shouldn't have been so eager to see the shinigami," he says worriedly.

"Yes, we're lucky Freya checked the rules before anyone else touched the notebook," L says plainly, lifting up some biscuits to examine.

Yes, aren't we indeed.

Only Matsuda, myself, L, and Misa can see the shinigami.

Of course, no one knows about Misa.

And it's also a little inconvenient that Near and Mello can't see Rem, but that doesn't matter.

"We need to hide it somewhere until we can test out the rules," I say.

"Test them?" Yagami looks appalled.

"Yeah, how else are we going to know if they're actually genuine?" I ask, glancing around, "We can't ask Higuchi, and the shinigami isn't telling."

"I agree," says L.

Light shakes his head warily, "I'm fed up with all of these people being killed for us to be able to stop Kira once and for all, just... do what you have to," he reluctantly agrees.

It's important to find out that the rules are fake in order to destroy the notebook.

"I have a safe on my floor," Naomi suggests, "I'll take it there, I don't mind touching it, it's not fair that I'm not at the same risk as all of you on this case," she says, holding her hand out.