Chp 39-There Is Always Hope

Holy crap! It's the last chapter! I don't know whether to cry of joy or cry because I'm sad it's ending!! Thank you to everyone who's supported this book, read it, voted, commented. Without you, this honestly wouldn't have been made possible.

-----

Niall's POV

It's been one month since Louis was discharged from the hospital. Dr. Jay was happy with his physical healing progress, a little less in his mental state. But that's why Louis was sent to St. Mary's Support Center.

Louis was given antibiotic cream with the instructions to apply it twice a day to his back. After which, he is to re-bandage the wound. He was prescribed medicine for his broken rib, which was healing remarkably fast, as Dr. Jay said.

The day Louis was released from the hospital was a good day. A hopeful day. St. Mary's would provide to him the support and resources he needs to get better. His nightmares and inability at times to see what's real and what's purely his imagination playing tricks on him would be a life long battle, they said, but they could offer him ways to get through it.

St. Mary's allows visitors during visiting hours, which are from 12-4 everyday. I come each day to see Louis, and I bring him flowers and a sandwich for lunch each time. The lads come to see Louis a lot, too. His mum moved from England to California to be closer to her son in his time of need. Even Simon has visited Louis a couple times.

The fans have been something else. They weren't told exactly what happened, out of respect of Louis' privacy, but they know enough to be concerned for him. They send tweets of support daily, and mail Louis letters and gifts. There's a pile building in the corner of his room at St. Mary's where the gifts are piling up faster than Louis can open them. He's not allowed to use twitter or the internet at St. Mary's, but he lets Harry, Zayn, Liam, and I know how much he appreciates everything the fans are doing and we make sure they know how much it means to him.

The doctors and psychologists fill me in everyday of Louis' positive progress. He's learning new ways to deal with his nightmares. They've given him medicine to help him decipher reality from imagination. Louis wasn't too keen on taking the medicine, but after a while he realized it helped.

Things are looking good for him. For us. And for that, I am grateful.

Today is just another day like any other. It's 11:45 and I'm off to visit Louis as routine would have it. I walk up to the front desk and flash a grin at Linn, the receptionist. Her long blonde hair is tied back in a bun due to the exceptionally hot weather today.

"Niall. Good to see you again," she says, smiling back. She glances at her watch. "Early as usual. Also as usual, I'll let it slide." She adds a casual wink.

Linn shares my daily routine by doing this. I come early to visiting hours every day I visit Louis, and every day she lets me in anyways.

"Thanks, Linn. Have a great day." I retreat down the familiar pale cream walls until I reach Louis' room.

"Louis, how are you?" I ask, walking through the door to his room.

Instantly a smile forms on his face and he jumps up from the desk chair and rushes over to me.

"Niall!" he exclaims, engulfing me in a tight hug.

"How are you?" I repeat, knowing that his honest answer to this question is of significance to his progress.

"I feel great, Ni. I really do." Again, he smiles. I swear that smile lights up the entire room.

"That's good to hear. How are your nightmares?" I take a seat on his rigid bed.