Something Stupid: Alternate Ending

'Tonights the night...'

I thought to myself as I fixed the skirt of my dress. Jacob had finally agreed to have a 'Fancy Dinner' with me for our anniversary. I had been begging him to have a dinner like this since we'd gotten together. I plan on telling him that I love him...

When I was young, my Mama told me
Not to use those words for just anyone.

And I always believed in that. I also want this dinner so I can see how Jacob looks in a button down shirt.
I know that it sounds silly, but I just have this image of him in one and I think he looks nice. But it'll be a lot nicer to see it in real life. I smiled at the thought and made my way to the kitchen and began preparing the meal I had been planning.

***

I rested my chin on the palm of my hand as I listened to Jacob speak from across the table. The entire time I spent working on the meal I was planning on how to say it to him. I know that he doesn't like the word "love" so I've been trying to come up with some clever lines to say to make the meaning come through.
I can feel that the time is right.

The cool night air flowing through the open windows carrying the strong intoxicating scent of Jacob's cologne, (That he only ever wears on special occasions) The orange flames of the candles making his blue eyes shine even brighter. I felt my heart flutter and I sighed happily.

"You got this (Y/n). This might be the only chance you get..."

"Jacob, I love you."

The words had left my lips faster than I could think about what I was saying. The room went quiet, I waited for a possible response as I watched him from across the table, The look on Jacob's face changed into an expression that I had never seen on him before.
"Shit..." He whispered. I looked down at my hands. "I'm sorry Jacob, I...I didn't mean to say it like that..."
I said quietly.

He stood up from the table and gently tossed down his napkin. "And I thought tonight was going so well." He
lightly shook his head. I moved my chair out and stood up. Jacob tried to walk past me but I placed my hands on his chest to stop him. I looked deeply into his eyes. "Jacob please, I said that I was sorry." I pleaded. He only looked down at me as if I had betrayed him.

I tried to grip on the soft yet crisp fabric of his button down as he walked away. I placed my hand on my forehead. "Jacob, I don't know what to do." I said. Jacob stopped in the doorway of our shared room. He turned his head as if he was about to say something, but instead he just closed the door behind him.

***

I knocked on the bedroom door after what felt like forever. "Jacob...?"
I said. No response. I sighed and rested my head against the door. I've seen him get like this before. He'll lock himself our room so he doesn't lash out at me or say something that he'll regret. I hate it, but the best thing to do when he's like this is to just leave him alone so he can cool off.

I removed myself from the door and made my way to the living room.
I reached under the couch and pulled out my suitcase and filled it with a small variety of clothes and things I might need. I wrote a note and sat it up on the kitchen table.

"Jacob, I am sorry that what I said upset you the way it did. It was silly of me to think that after all this time it wouldn't affect you the way it has in the past. When you're ready to talk feel free to come find me."
- (Y/n)