Explanations

Constance's POV

We sat still in front of the teacher's desk, trying to figure out why we were asked to stay. The teacher was sitting in front of us, going through what looks like paperwork from her students.

"Explain this. Both of you." Ms. Newman says as she gives us back our essays from the first week of the school year.

We both looked at our papers and on my paper, I was given an A+. I didn't know why I had to explain, she already knows that I'm smart. Zayn's also very smart, he's the school's current top student, so when I looked at his paper, I also wasn't surprised.

"You didn't even notice that you were holding each other's papers. And Mr. Malik, sit properly." Ms. Newman said while pointing at my body.

Wait, what?

Zayn looked at me as if he was as confused as I was.

"Yes, children, I know what you're hiding."

"What do you mean?" Zayn asked Ms. Newman, this time, his real accent was coming out.

"I know that you're in each other's bodies."

"How?" I replied.

"Let's just say... I know a lot of things about souls that normal people aren't supposed to know."

"Again, what do you mean?" Zayn was already pissed, maybe it's because of the hormones.

"I don't know how to explain this, but I feel connections between bodies and souls. Somehow I can "read" bodies. I know if a soul is not in its proper body just by looking at the person. During the first week of school, I was observing Mr. Malik because there was a sudden change in his aura. When he handed me his first week essay, he was in Ms. Flynn's body, and Ms. Flynn was in Mr. Malik's. So I observed Ms. Flynn, but it was harder for me because you're a new student. The week after, I noticed that you're back in your own bodies and now, despite all of your efforts to change (she points at Zayn who's in my body), I still know that you're Zayn."

We both sat still, trying to figure out what she was saying. You can't blame us, it's the first time we have ever talked to anyone about what's going on between us.

I'm not saying that there's an US, but you get what I mean.

"I have no idea about how much you know about what's happening, but I know that YOU think that it's not normal. Yes, it is not normal, but I want you to know that it happens to a lot of people."

She stood up from her seat and moved to the front of the teacher's table.

Ms. Newman's pretty, and she's the youngest teacher that we have. Our guy classmates like her a lot, but Zayn doesn't. He's the type of guy who would check her body out when she's that close to him, but he wasn't paying attention to her body.

"It happens to a lot of people, but your case is different. Whenever people go through body switches, it either happens when they're sleeping, when they're in an altered state of consciousness, or when they're fully awake and normal. When they're awake, the switch only lasts for less than 24 hours. Some of them really are good at hiding it, some aren't aware that they're in another person's body, some are just scared of going out of the house. You're lucky because you encountered the person you got switched with. That normally doesn't happen to anyone."

"Why is this happening?" Zayn spoke up.

"I'm actually quite surprised you guys haven't done anything about it. Unfortunately, you really can't do anything about it. It is nature that's working on you. I have never encountered someone who has been in another person's body for such a long period of time. It's like being struck by lightning, but it happened to you twice. I just want you guys to be careful with your decisions while you're in each other's bodies. You'll never know what might happen."

I don't know why we weren't speaking, but something about the vibe says that she already told us everything she knows.

I know we're supposed to be freaking out, but somehow we are not.

It's like we have just accepted was fate has just laid out in front of us.

I have so many questions in my head, and I know that Zayn does, too, but we both just sat there, trying to take in what she just said.

"You may now go. If you need anything, you can always talk to me. If you have other questions, I'll try to answer them."

I was waiting for Zayn to ask her, but he just stared at me, somehow looking as if he was also waiting for me to ask.

Zayn's POV

My thoughts are cloudy and I couldn't help but think about how fucked up the world is.

This thing, this, body switching, it does more harm than good.

It's like asking another person to take the weight of all of your problems for you.

It's like inviting a person to witness all of the bad things that you've ever seen.

It's like being forced to live a life you don't want to live while watching a person live your own life that you don't want, either.

It's the kind of torture that has no end because you do not know where it started or who's causing it.

I have given up on finding answers, we just have to learn how to deal with it.

Isn't that what life's supposed to be?

You just have to accept and not ask questions.

Do not ask questions, because then you might not like the anwswet and the you would want to change something.

It's scary.

I ask one question, the one question that has been bothering me since all this shit has started.

"Ms. Newman, what could be the effect of the switch on us? Could one person's existence be detrimental to the other?"

"Mr. Malik, a person could only hurt you if you let her, and you could only hurt a person if you let youself hurt her. Choices are important."

All my life I've been asked to make choices, only to be given options I will never choose from.

I've been bombarded with questions without being given the chance to answer.

I stared at Constance and think about how being in my body could hurt her. How she has to make choices for me. How she has to put up with everything I have had to live with for the past seventeen years.

And she looks back at me as if she was telling me that nothing's wrong with what's happening, that everything will be fine, and that we will both be okay.

I wish we could be.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

It was a boring chapter, I know. But it's my way of telling you guys that I won't be going deep into the body switch explanation. I won't be explaining it anymore, that's the only explanation I can offer you guys bc I don't want it to involve magic.

So I'll be updating twice this time (Yaaaaaay) and the next chapter's going to be fun :)

Please vote / comment / promote Switched! :) Thank you!!! ;)