129| Ray x reader

Requested by: Gabyudg

You and the rest of the team were stood in the arena of Heyworld. Shock overcame all of you when you saw the dragon, that was one a baby only a few hours ago, in the hallway leading in who was then followed by Neron and Tabitha. You just couldn't believe that Ray was taken to hell, he gave up his life to protect Nate. The audience were running away and screaming once they saw the dragon, everything that the team was planning to do was taken away. Fear was strong in this area, opening up the gateway to hell.

"This is for taking Ray!" you shout running up to Neron, followed by Sara and Nate. You started to throw punches at the demon and all of them he missed. Suddenly, you stopped. You were frozen, you tried to move putting in all the effort you had but you just couldn't move. Neron stepped closer to you and once he was close he wrapped his hand around your neck, stopping you from breathing. You were now unfrozen as you tried to push him off you but he was too strong.

"Please" you tried to say but Neron wouldn't listen. You started to loose your sight as your eyes closed.

"You wont ever see Ray again" was the last thing he said before being kicked by Sara which was the last thing you saw before passing out.

You soon awoke to see Nate lying on the floor with Ray over the top of him. You crawled over to him, not knowing what was going on.

"Wh-what's happened to Nate?" you croaked, holding onto his hand

"In order for Ray to be free, Nate had to die. He volunteered to go with the plan" Constantine explained. Suddenly you were pushed off his body by Zari, you wiped a tear from your cheek and stood up. A pain rested on you throat, you touched it gently and winced at the pain as a bruise was forming in that place.

"Are you okay?" Ray asks you, concern in his voice. You nodded your head,

"I'm just sad that he's gone" you explain, your voice still really hoarse.

"I think you should go see Gideon" he admits. You nod your head, knowing that it was the right thing to do. You head back to the waverider to get checked up on by Gideon and she explained that you needed to rest your voice and that the bruising wouldn't last for long.

You sat in the parlour as you waited fort he rest of the team came back. When you saw Nate alive you couldn't help but give him a hug

"Nate! Your alive" you say "How?"

"The power of love helped me" he replied, laughing.

"Thank goodness you're back. I don't know what I would do without our book club" you reply. He laughs again and bid farewell as he wanted to get out of his Citizen Steel outfit. Ray came over and randomly put you in his embrace, you didn't fight it. You wrapped your arms around his waist and rested your head on his chest,

"What's this for?" you ask after a moment of silence.

"I'm sorry. Constantine told me that I did that to you and I'm sorry" He explains, his voice a little croaky like he was going to cry.

"It wasn't you Ray. It was Neron, you don't need to apologise"

"But if it wasn't for me giving him my body, he wouldn't have been able to do that"

"Yes but Nate would dead. So I would rather be bruised than have my friend dead" you explain. Ray pulls you out of the hug and kisses your cheek.

"I am going to look after yo. No one will ever hurt you again" he instructs

"How are you going to do that?" you ask, placing your hands on your hips. He takes you hand and links it with his. Your cheeks start to blush at this contact, you have dreamt about holding hands with Ray and know your dream has come true.

"I'm never going to let you go. Unless its absolutely necessary" he says. You roll your eyes and laugh,

"My protector, Raymond Palmer" you say. He chuckles and nods his head,

"I am"

A month after defeating Neron the team was closer than usual. Ava was on the ship a lot more. Ray was still trying to make it up to you for what Neron did. He would get you food whenever yousaid you were hungry, he would always keep you close by. He always walked you to your room if you were staying up late as a team.

"Ray, you don't need to do this" you tell him

"I know but I want you to be safe" he would reply. The same conversation every night so one night you decided to know why.

"I know you want me to be safe but I can stand up for myself Ray, if you did it to Sara you would be like this. So tell me, why?" you ask, causing Ray to take a small step back in shock.

"I know. I just want to make it up to you. If you want, I can stop. I just want to make sure you're safe, like friends would do" he replied, running his hand through his hair. You place your hands on his shoulders and smiled

"That all I wanted to know. If you want to keep on doing it, do it. I don't actually mind, I just wanted to know why you were doing it"

"Well, now you know. Good night Y/N" Ray said before walking away.

Ray lay in his bed that night wishing he said more. Wishing that he told you the truth, the truth of him falling in love with you and he was being protective because he doesn't was to loose you like he lost Anna.

Authors Note

I really hope you enjoyed this chapter. Imagines will come more often now as I am off sixth form for the six week holidays.

-Ray❤️