~Chapter 6~

"I'll take it." you say.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I've given it a lot of thought, and I know it's the right decision." you say. "I've always had this feeling in my life that something was missing, and I think I've found it. But all I want to know is... why me?"

"Very simple, because since I met you I knew there was something that differenced you from the other agents." he explains. "You are ready to sacrifice your comfortable life for something that doesn't guarantee your safety. You are ready to sacrifice yourself for others in any situation. We already have lots of strong men fighting this war, maybe what we need now is a woman like you." he says, and his words overwhelm you.

"I- I don't know what to say... thank you..."

"You must also know that you will be the first one taking it, although we are almost a hundred percent sure that it works, we haven't tested it on anyone, so you should know there are life-threatening risks by taking it." he says.

"I know." you sigh. "When would I take it?"

"Well, you must be prepared to take it, therefore you will train so you acquire the skills." he says. "I will have you train privately with Agent Carter-"

"I can't train with the other recruits, can I?" you ask, even though you already know the answer. The doctor sighs before answering.

"As much as we'd both love that, we unfortunately live in a very narrow-minded society, and having one woman training with hundreds of men might turn a lot of heads, putting you at risk."

"It's fine, I'm gonna have fun with Peggy anyway." you smile.

"I am glad to hear that." he smiles back. "You will start training next week instead of attending your current duties at this job, that is of course if you don't change your mind." he says.

"I won't." you say with a reassuring smile.

"I believe in you, Agent y/l/n." he says. "I really do believe you will make history. But always stay true to yourself and stay who you are, not a perfect soldier, but a good woman." he says, and you nod. "Well, I believe you have got other matters to attend to, so I won't keep you waiting any longer." he says, standing up. You stand up too to shake his hand and after that, he leaves.
After you're done tidying up your office, you say goodbye to Peggy and Howard and start making your way towards Bucky's workplace. As you walked there, you couldn't stop rehearsing in your head the different ways to tell Bucky that you were going to take the super soldier serum.

Once you finally start approaching the building in which Bucky works, you see him and some of his coworkers talking outside.

"Hey Buck!" you say as you approach him, and his whole face lights up when he sees you.

"Y/n!" he says excitedly and kisses your cheek.

"This your girl, Buck?" one of the coworkers asks.

"Yep, that's my girl..." Bucky says, looking at you proudly and keeping you close to him by putting his hand around your waist. Your heart flutters at his words, he had never called you that until now.

"Should we go to Steve's now?" you ask, looking up at him and slightly blushing.

"Yeah, let's go." he says. "See ya tomorrow, fellas." he says to his coworkers, and after that you start walking away. As you walk towards Steve's apartment, Bucky tells you about his day at work and you keep trying to find the right moment to tell him about the serum. Once you do, you speak up.

"Bucky, I need to tell you something-" you start, but you're interrupted.

"Hey Barnes!" someone suddenly interrupts you and approaches Bucky, and you assume he's a friend of his. They have a short conversation as you just stand there watching them, your confidence to tell Bucky dropping by the second. Once the guy leaves, you two start walking again.