~Chapter 25~

Fear is what you're feeling right now. Fear that your mentor, someone who has helped you so much these last two years, wasn't going to survive this.
You're at the hospital along with Steve, and Natasha, watching from behind a glass as doctors operate on Fury's wounds.

"Is he gonna make it?" Natasha asks, her gaze fixed on Fury, not faltering for a second. This was even harder for her. She had known Fury for a much longer time than you, and you knew he was the one who helped Natasha become a better version of herself.

"I don't know." Steve says as he stands next to you.

"Tell me about the shooter." Nat demands.

"He's fast and strong. Had a metal arm." Steve answers. His words make you recall the image glued to your brain. You had only been able to see this man for two quick seconds, but that had been enough for you to get a good look at his eyes. You didn't know what it was, but something about this man didn't feel right. You analyze his image in your brain for the hundredth time this night. His arm was what stood out the most. A metal arm with a red star on his shoulder. Even though his metal arm was what allowed him to catch Steve's shield easily, you knew that wasn't the only thing that made him strong. He wasn't like any other man, he was too fast for that. Could he have the serum too? If so, how? Your thoughts get interrupted when a new presence joins the three of you.

"Ballistics?" Natasha asks, noticing the woman who just entered the room as well.

"Three slugs, no rifling." Maria Hill says. "Completely untraceable."

"Soviet-made." Natasha says mostly to herself.

"Yeah." Maria confirms. Suddenly, the machines the doctors were using to operate on Fury start beeping loudly and you watch in shock as Fury's state deteriorates. The doctors start rushing and walking around quickly but things get worse as you see Fury flatlining.

"Come on, Nick..." you mumble as your eyes threaten to water.

"Don't do this to me, Nick." you hear Natasha mumble as well.

You watch as the doctors do the best they can by giving Fury a shock with the defibrillator. His pulse is still negative so they give him another shock, but still no response from him. They continue trying to revive him but it's no use. The doctors realize they can't do anything about it and they call the time of death.

"Time of death, 1:03am." you hear the doctor say. A cold shiver runs down your spine as realization sinks in. You look down at the flash drive Fury gave you before heading to another room.

-

Natasha stands in front of the bed where Fury's body is lying. You know she's trying her hardest to hide her emotions, but you know her well enough to know she's suffering.

"I need to take him." Maria says, trying to hold her tears back. You look at her before stepping forward and squeezing Natasha's shoulder gently.

"Nat..." you say softly. She doesn't respond, instead she tenderly touches Fury's forehead, then turns and walks out. You and Steve follow her, catching up to her in the hallway.

"Natasha!" Steve calls out to her and she whips her head towards him.

"Why was Fury in your apartment?" she asks with a determined look on her face. You're about to lie, but Steve does it for you.

"I don't know." Steve says, looking slightly nervous. Natasha looks at you before looking back at Steve. Suddenly, you're interrupted by Rumlow.

"Y/l/n, Rogers, they want you back at SHIELD." he says.