~Chapter 38~

You woke up to your stomach doing flips, and you instantly knew you were landing. You slowly sit up from laying across three of the cushioned seats and let out a quiet yawn and rub your eyes roughly before you proceed to fix your messy hair from sleeping. You finally look up and find a sleeping Bucky laying across from you and you smile sleepily at the sight. His long raven hair draped over his face and plump lips slightly parted as his built chest heaves up and down from breathing heavily.

"If you keep drooling so much you're gonna freak him out when he wakes up." Steve smirks as he stands up from his seat. Heat rushes to your cheeks as you force your gaze away from Bucky.

"What? I- I'm not-" you stutter before giving up with a sigh, making Steve chuckle. Suddenly, the landing wheels of the jet tap the snowy ground, causing things to jolt and sway in the aircraft. Bucky wakes up to the sudden jolt and rubs his eyes with his flesh hand.

"We here already?" Bucky asks as he sits up.

"No, we're stopping to buy snacks." Steve jokes. A confused expression washes over Bucky's features before it turns into a smile once he understands his friend's sarcasm, making you smile too as a bittersweet feeling makes its way to your heart.

You missed this.

You missed the three of you. You hadn't realized until now how much you missed your old life. You missed how simple things used to be and the endless hours you would spend hanging out with your two best friends in Brooklyn. You missed going to school with them and then spending the rest of the day with your little group. You knew back then you didn't need anything else in the world, just them. You shake the bittersweet memories out of your head as you stand up to grab your weapons along with Bucky and Steve.

You pull out your rack of guns labelled "y/l/n" and grab a small gun before placing it on your thigh gun holster. You adjust your bracelets and your suit before walking over to Bucky, who had just grabbed a machine gun from Natasha's rack of guns.

"You ready?" you ask as he closes the rack again.

"Yeah." he breathes out. "Just not sure what we're gonna find." he says truthfully. You knew this was the Hydra base Bucky- well, the Winter Soldier- was trained in, and you also knew it probably wasn't going to be easy for Bucky to be back here, to be back in the place that held so many horrible and painful memories.

"I don't like it either." you reply with a frown. "But we've got each other's backs if anything happens." you say, and Bucky flashes you a small smile before the two of you walk over to Steve and stand beside him, waiting for the exit ramp to descend.

"You remember that time we had to ride back from Rockaway Beach in the back of that freezer truck?" Steve suddenly asks Bucky.

"Was that the time we used our train money to buy hot dogs?" Bucky asks back with a smile, recalling the memory.

"You blew three bucks trying to win that stuffed bear for y/n." Steve smirks as he glances at you briefly. "Was that before or after you guys started dating?"

"Before." Bucky replies almost before Steve finished his question, making you blush. He remembered, and he seemed to be getting his memories back a little bit more everyday, including the ones you shared with him. Bucky looks down at you with a soft smile.

Your eyes drift away from Bucky when the ramp is fully open, and the three of you start walking down. Once your boots touch the snowy ground, a chilly sensation suddenly hits your body. Even as a super soldier you could still feel the Siberian cold, even if it wasn't as intense for you as it would be for a regular human being.

Your eyes narrow as you notice the slightly opened door which leads to the Hydra base. Bucky and Steve notice it too as they trail closely behind you.