~Chapter 22~

Once you got to the lab, you, Tony, Bruce, and Steve all confronted Fury about what SHIELD was really trying to do with the Tesseract. After Thor and Natasha joined you in the lab, Fury finally admitted it. He explained that the reason SHIELD was building weapons of mass destruction with the Tesseract was because Thor visited the Earth last year. Fury explained that after this encounter, they learned that not only they weren't alone, but that the human race was hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned. After he explained this, the conversation started drifting away from the main topic and it became more of an argument between all of you. Everyone seemed to start attacking each other verbally. At first, you tried to not join in the argument, but you weren't able to help it.

"I'm sure if he still made weapons, Stark would be neck-deep-" Steve starts, but Tony cuts him off.

"Wait, wait. Hold on. How is this now about me?" he asks.

Steve steps forward towards him intimidatingly. "I'm sorry, isn't everything?"

"I thought humans were more evolved than this." Thor says, and that's what pisses you off. You're about to step in but Fury does it before you.

"Excuse me, did we come to your planet and blow stuff up?" he asks.

"You treat your champions with such mistrust." Thor says, and you shake your head, narrowing your eyes.

"Are you boys really that naive?" you ask. As more discussion continues in the background between Steve and Tony, and Fury and Thor.

"SHIELD monitors potential threats." Natasha says, stepping in too.

"Captain America and Captain Wonder are on threat watch?" Bruce asks and you raise an eyebrow at Natasha.

"We all are." Nat says.

The argument keeps on going and you're all too distracted to realize a big threat happening right under your noses. The blue gem on Loki's scepter starts glowing brightly, but none of you notices it.

"You speak of control, yet you court chaos." Thor says mockingly.

"That's his M.O., isn't it?" Banner says, catching everyone's attention and you all look at him. "I mean, what are we, a team? No, we're a chemical mixture that makes chaos. We're... we're a time bomb."

"You need to step away." Fury tells him.

"Why shouldn't the guy let off a little steam?" Stark says, putting his hand on Steve's shoulder, and you roll your eyes.

Steve pushes his hand away angrily. "You know damn well why. Back off!"

"Oh I'm starting to want you to make me." Tony says, and Steve smirks, standing right in front of Tony.

"Yeah. Big man in a suit of armor. Take that off, what are you?" Steve asks as the tension in the room keeps growing between all of you.

"Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist." Tony says. You and Natasha turn to each other and raise an eyebrow, acknowledging the smart way Tony just answered Steve.

"I know guys with none of that worth ten of you." Steve says, and you know who one of the guys he's talking about is. When Steve steals a quick sad glance at you, it just proves your theory. "I've seen the footage. The only thing you really fight for is yourself. You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you."

You frown, knowing this conversation isn't going anywhere and no one is doing anything to stop it. "Okay, guys. That's enough, come on." you say, stepping towards them.

"I think I would just cut the wire." Tony says, ignoring you, and Steve scoffs.

"Always a way out. You know, you may not be a threat but you better stop pretending to be a hero." Steve says.