~Chapter 27~

The sun had already come up and the three of you were back in Washington. It was a risk for the three of you to be back there, but Steve came up with a plan, and to be honest, you were running out of options. Natasha had recovered, although the three of you looked like you had been through hell. Your face was bruised and there was also some dried blood over a cut on your cheek. The three of you were also covered in dust from the debris.

After you all go up the stairs, Steve knocks on his friend's door. Moments later, the door opens to reveal a concerned man.

"Hey, man." Sam says, worry covering his features at the sight of you.

"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low." Steve says.

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us." Natasha says.

Sam pauses for a moment before replying. "Not everyone." He helps you all inside and closes the door before drawing all the blinds on the windows around the house, making sure that no one was able to see you from outside. You had to be careful.

"You can use the washing machine while you shower." Sam tells you, showing you the room of the washing machine.

"Thank you." you smile at him. He smiles back before leaving you in a free bedroom. You put your dirty clothes inside the machine before stepping inside the shower.

You close your eyes and sigh out of pure relaxation as the warm water makes contact with your sore muscles. It had been a while since you felt this relaxed, and all this stress was taking a toll on you.
Once you've finished washing your body and your hair, you step out of the shower and quickly brush your wet hair before changing into your now clean clothes. You leave the bedroom with a renewed energy and head towards Natasha's room. Steve and Natasha had already showered, but when you peak inside her room it looks like she's having a pretty deep conversation with Steve, so you decide to head to the kitchen where Sam is patiently waiting while reading a magazine.

"Hey." you say, taking a seat in front of him at the table.

"Well, you look a lot better now." he says, setting the magazine down, and you chuckle.

"That shower helped a lot." you smile before your expression turns serious. "Thank you, for letting us stay here." you say. "We didn't know where else to go."

"Hey, it's my pleasure." he says. Suddenly, you're interrupted by the beeping from a coffee machine. "Oh, I made coffee. Want some?"

"Please." you say, elongating the 'e' and earning a chuckle from Sam as he pours some of the warm coffee in a white cup before handing it to you and sitting back on his chair. "Thanks." you say before you start drinking it.

"So, SHIELD is after you guys?" Sam asks, breaking the silence.

"Pretty much." you say.

"Why would they be after the two super soldiers who saved the world?" he asks.

"We know something they want to know." You felt like you could trust Sam, but you didn't want to share too much information about why SHIELD was after you. Not just for your own gain, but also because the more Sam knew, the more danger he would be in.

"And now you just found out it's been infiltrated by Hydra." he says and your eyes widen.

"How did you-"

"Steve told me." he says.

"Oh." you say, relaxing into your seat once again. If Steve trusted him, you knew you could too. "It all makes sense now. The SHIELD I knew wouldn't be trying to kill us, and after we found out Hydra was secretly working inside of SHIELD, it all clicked into place. Just not the way I would've hoped it would." you say, with a tight smile.