~Chapter 53~

"It's been twenty-three days since Thanos came to Earth." Rhodey says. You're all scattered around the living room area as a holographic casualty report lists the names and faces of those lost after the snap. Tony looks down in pain when he sees Peter's face, and you do the same after seeing him, Sam, and Wanda.

"World governments are in pieces." Natasha explains. "The parts that are still working are trying to take a census. And it looks like he did..." Natasha pauses for a second. "He did exactly what he said he was gonna do. Thanos wiped out fifty percent, of all living creatures."

"Where is he now? Where?" you ask, speaking up for the first time since you entered the room.

"We don't know. He just opened a portal and walked through." Steve says as he leans against a table with his arms crossed over his chest.

"What's wrong with him?" Tony asks, referring to a seemingly deep in thought Thor, who's sitting on a bench away from everyone else.

"Oh, he's pissed." Rocket says, sitting on the floor. "He thinks he failed. Which of course he did, but you know, there's a lot of that going around, ain't there?"

"Honestly, until this exact second, I thought you were a Build-A-Bear." Tony says.

"Maybe I am." Rocket teases back.

"We've been hunting Thanos for three weeks now." Steve says, interrupting the small banter. "Deep space scans and satellites, and we got nothing. Y/n, Tony, you guys fought him."

You're about to speak up but Tony beats you to it. "Who told you that?" Tony asks, acting surprised. "We didn't fight him. At least I didn't. No, he wiped my face with a planet while the Bleecker Street magician gave away the store. That's what happened. There was no fight. He's unbeatable."

"Did he give you any clues, any coordinates, anything?" Steve insists.

"Pffft!" Tony makes a loud raspberry sound, indicating he didn't know anything. "I saw this coming a few years back. I had a vision. I didn't wanna believe it. Thought I was dreaming."

"Tony, I'm gonna need you to focus." Steve says.

"You know what I need?" Tony stands, pushing things off the table with a clatter and everyone winces at the noise. "I need to shave. And I believe telling all youse-"

"Tony, Tony, Tony!" Rhodey tries to stop him as Tony tears off the tube injected to his arm before approaching Steve, struggling to walk.

"-alive and otherwise, that what we needed was a suit of armor around the world!" Tony raises his voice. "Remember that? Whether it impacted our precious freedoms or not. That's what we needed."

"Well, that didn't work out, did it?" Steve asks.

"I said we'd lose. You said, 'We'll do that together too.' And guess what, Cap? We lost. And you weren't there." Tony says, and you look down before you feel Bucky's arm around your shoulders as a sign of support. "But that's what we do, right? Our best work after the fact? We're the 'Avengers'. Not the 'Pre-vengers'.

"Okay. You made your point. Just sit down. Okay?" Rhodey says as he tries to get Tony back on the wheelchair.

"Nah, nah. Here's my point. You know what?" Tony insists.

"Tony, you're sick. Sit down."

"She's great, by the way." Tony says, referring to Carol, who narrows her eyes at him. "We need you. You're new blood. Bunch of tired old mules." Tony walks right up to Steve's face before ripping his Arc Reactor from his chest and shoving it into Steve's hand. "Here, take this. You find him, and you put that on. You hide." he says, his voice trembling with fear at the end.  Suddenly, Tony falls to the ground, and everyone quickly gathers around to help him.