~Chapter 36~

The sudden halt of the car wakes you up abruptly as your head hits the window you were leaning against. You frown sleepily before rubbing your eyes and opening them to analyze your surroundings. Steve pulls up under an overpass and gets out of the small beetle car while you stay inside along with Sam and Bucky. Sam was seated in the passenger seat while Bucky was behind him, and you were behind the driver's seat.
The small yawn that leaves your lips grabs the attention of the two men in the vehicle.

"Sleeping Beauty finally woke up." Sam says sarcastically before turning his head to the front again.

"Shut up, Wilson. I've barely slept this week." you say as you brush your messy hair with your fingers before following Sam's gaze.

Sharon was already waiting outside her car when you got there. Steve approaches her and you all watch them as they talk.

"Who is she?" Bucky asks without taking his eyes off the two blondes.

"Sharon Carter." you say.

"Wait, Carter as in Peggy Carter?" Bucky asks.

"Yup, she's hers and my great niece." The second your words reach the men's ears, they both turn their head towards you in a flash.

"What?!" they both ask at the same time, making you chuckle.

"Well, technically she's from Peggy's side of the family," you say. Just as you finish saying that you see Sharon opening the trunk of her car and you guess that she she's showing Steve your gear and weapons.

"Can you move your seat up?" Bucky asks Sam our of nowhere. You look at him and see how little space he has behind Sam's seat. To be honest, this getaway car wasn't the best form of transportation for three super soldiers and another hero, but you didn't really have any other options.

"No." Sam deadpans without shifting his gaze from Steve and Sharon, making you hold back a laugh. Not being left much choice, Bucky scoots closer to you so he has a little more space. His body is now touching yours and you can feel the warmth radiating off of him. Bucky moves his arm on the backrest of your seat and behind your head so he's more comfortable, and the proximity of the position you're both in makes you feel something you hadn't felt in a really really long time.

Butterflies.

You look down to hide your blush and try to control the smile that was starting to show on your features. Once you've gathered yourself, you look back up and part of you wishes you hadn't when you see it.
Steve steps forward and closes the gap between him and Sharon by kissing her. A loud gasp leaves your lips as the scene unfolds in front of you. After a few seconds, they break the kiss and they both gaze at each other lovingly with a shy smile on their lips before Sharon walks past Steve and gets in her car. Just as she does that, Steve looks at the three of you to find Sam and Bucky smirking at him in approval. Steve rolls his eyes and you look at the two men who are still smirking and nodding, making you groan.

"Ugh, you guys are gross." you say.

Steve gets back inside the car after putting all your gear in the trunk and before anyone can say anything, you make sure you're the first one to get a word in.

"You do realize you just kissed my niece, right? That's not weird at all." you say sarcastically.

"Oh come on, she's your great niece and you guys are not even actually that related." Steve says as he starts driving again, and you raise a questioning eyebrow at him. "It's only weird if you make it weird."

"Whatever you say, Cap." you say with a smirk before looking out the window. Even though part of you was uncomfortable with what just happened, the other half of you couldn't help but feel happy for him. He had been through so much that he deserved to be happy, and who were you to hold him back? Love is something that neither of you have had on your mind ever since you got out of the ice, and the reason for that was simple: neither of you could move on, and more specifically for you, you didn't want to. However, now that Bucky was back in the picture your life took a 180 degree turn, but you knew there were more important things that needed to be taken care of right now than acting on those butterflies you were feeling.