~Chapter 24~

You jolt out of bed when you hear a loud crash outside your bedroom, scaring you awake. You turn the lights on and check the time on your phone. 4:55am. You frown, confused at what the sound was, before putting your slippers on and silently walking out of your bedroom. The whole apartment is dark, so you sneak through the hallway until you get to the kitchen, where the sound was coming from. You peak from behind the wall to see a tall figure rummaging in the kitchen. You narrow your eyes to get a better look at who it is, and that's when you finally recognize him.

"Steve?" you ask, turning the lights on and you see him drinking an orange juice. He turns around and wipes a little bit of orange juice off his lips when he sees you. "What the hell are you doing drinking orange juice at 5am?" you ask, still sleepy.

"I'm going on my morning run, just like always." he says while putting the empty glass in the sink.

"Oh." you say. "Wait, what did you break?"

"What do you mean?" he asks, pretending he doesn't know.

"I heard something crash." you say, raising an eyebrow. "Spit it out, Rogers."

"I may have broken a plate." he says, scratching the back of his head. "Don't worry, I cleaned it up."

"Okay." you chuckle. "I'm going back to sleep, and you better not wake me up like this again." you say as you walk back to your bedroom.

"Yes ma'am." Steve chuckles.

You get to your bedroom and lay on your bed again before quickly falling asleep.

-

You wake up again at 7:30 but this time a lot more slowly. After you turn off your alarm, you sit up at the edge of your bed and stretch your whole body before letting out a long yawn. You rub your eyes before looking towards your bedside table and you find yours and Bucky's picture, making you smile softly.

You stand up and walk to the kitchen. You look around, trying to find any trace of Steve being here but you don't see anything, meaning he's probably still running. You make yourself a cup of coffee and a French toast before walking over to the couch and turning the TV on. You sip calmly on your coffee while watching an episode of The Office, a show Natasha told you to definitely watch as part of her method to get you back in the world. She made a long list of things you needed to catch up on, and The Office was one of them.
Not much has happened since the battle of New York back in 2012. You've spent these last two years living in an apartment with Steve and working for SHIELD whenever you were needed. You moved to Washington since it was closer to the SHIELD facility. You and Natasha have grown a lot closer during this time, and you've also gotten to know Tony a lot more. You two had already clicked back in 2012, and now it had developed into a pretty open and trustworthy friendship. Things were also going smooth with Steve. The fact that the both of you had shared life experience helped your friendship get stronger and you two would help each other when either of you had nightmares or was just overwhelmed with everything that's happened. Almost everything went pretty well during these two years, however, not everything did. Peggy's condition has worsened to the point where she's now in a hospital bed since almost two months ago. Thankfully, you were able to stay in contact with her family who was technically also your family and create bonds with most of them.

Today you had decided to have a relaxing day all to yourself, knowing SHIELD probably wouldn't contact you since they hadn't in a while.
You're laughing at something Michael Scott said when your phone suddenly starts buzzing, making you draw your attention away from the show and to the person who's calling. Natasha.

"Hey." you say after bringing your phone to your ear.

"Hey, we have a mission." she says. Her words make you sit up properly on the couch, paying more attention now. "We need to rescue a group of people that are being held hostage on a ship by some criminals that traffic with weapons. I'll pick you up in five. Hurry up." she hangs up the phone and you sigh. So much for one relaxing day.