~Chapter 39~

"And you? You knew about this too, didn't you?" Tony asks you, unimpressed and looking betrayed, as you try to control your sobs.

"I did." you confess. "I'm so sorry."

The second your words leave your lips Tony looks down, hurt and betrayed. He looks hesitant for a few seconds before suddenly breaking the silence by punching Steve to the floor, catching you off-guard. Then he goes to Bucky, deflecting his gunfire, and manages to disarm him. Tony grabs Bucky before you can get to them and flies across the chamber. He slams Bucky onto the floor and is about to punch him again before Steve throws his shield at Tony, distracting him. Steve throws himself at Tony, but thanks to the Iron Man suit, Tony's stronger. So he throws Steve to the floor and shackles his ankles. When you start running up to Tony, he does the same to you. You quickly try to break free from the restraints as you worriedly watch Bucky try to take on Tony. He throws a few punches before Tony lifts him and slams him into a machine. Tony raises his fist to hit Bucky but he stops it and twists it, accidentally making a rocket shoot out of the suit's arm. The rocket causes an explosion and you manage to break free from the shackles just as a towering structure of pipework collapses. This causes Tony and Bucky to be thrown down a level as twisted metal falls around them, showering sparks. Tony gets trapped underneath a heavy metal structure, giving you the opportunity you were waiting for.

"The two of you get out of here! Now!" you yell.

"But y/n-" Steve tries to protest.

"Just go! I'll be fine." you assure him, and two seconds later he's escaping with Bucky. By now, Tony has managed to get out of the fallen debris and tries to shoot at Bucky and Steve as they escape, but he misses and you stand in front of him, blocking his way.

"It wasn't him, Tony. Hydra had control of his mind!" you say. "Please, just listen to me!"

"I can't anymore." he says.

"Yes, you can. It's me, Tony. Please, don't do this." you beg.

"Move!" he says as he lifts himself up in the air, ignoring you.

"It wasn't him!" you yell again as he tries to fly over you, but you manage to jump and strongly grab his ankle mid-air, and you begin smashing it with one of your bracelets.

"Y/n, stop!" you hear Tony say. He then manages to kick you out of his way, and as you fall to the floor he flies to the other side and shoots laser at the ceiling, causing rubble and more debris to fall down and collapse, blocking your way in the process. You quickly stand up but you don't get there on time as the massive rocks block your only way.

"Shit, shit, shit." you mumble as you desperately look for a way out. You knew you could lift the rocks and get them out of your way, but that was going to take way too much time, and by the time you got to them, who knows who else would be left? You start walking around the large chamber which was now half-filled with debris caused by the previous fight, trying to look for another access. At one point, you even try opening the door Zemo had hid behind earlier, but just as you expected, you couldn't open it.
After being unable to find another way out, you opt for your only option left and start lifting up the heavy and large rocks one by one until you finally have enough space to get through. You climb your way inside the small hole through the rubble of rocks. Once you get out, you don't get too far before you realize you're standing on a platform and above you there are dozens of others as they reach the round ceiling. You don't hear anything except the subtle breeze of air, making you jump to the worst conclusions. You slowly walk to the edge of the platform and look down, checking if you could jump to the bottom. You know you can so that's exactly what you do since it wasn't too high for you. Once you've landed on the concrete floor, you stand back up and look around your surroundings carefully, and that's when you notice a ramp and around five feet further there are various openings in the wall, leading to the cold outside. You walk up the ramp, not expecting to see what you come across of. In front of you lies a defeated but awake Tony. His face is bloody and bruised, more than you've ever seen it get. What the hell happened?