Truth Told

Bryana refused to walk less than five steps away from me. Not that she originally liked being next to me or like I cared or whatever but it was obvious she was trying super hard. She sped up slightly when I tried to jog next to her and even her shadow looked tense.

"You good sis"? I asked.

"Yeah, just on alert.", she replied.

"Maybe your too alert."

"I'm trying to keep us alive."

"And that's okay but I don't bite you know."

Even with the dim light of her lighter I saw her flinch.

"I'm just being precautionary.", she said.

We continued in silence after that, the sound of the grass beneath our feet was the only the thing that could be heard. I drifted off to my own thoughts.

Is Rick and Chase okay? Are they even alive? What the hell is up with Bryana? Are we ever gonna get out of here? What is the Court planning to do if I make it out alive? Are they gonna-

I was so distracted that I didn't know Bryana stopped walking and I walked right into her. Bryana jumped about two feet in the air and spun around, next thing I know her fist is coming at my face.

"Woah chill", I said and reflexively grabbed her wrist which made her flinch.

I raised my eyebrow, "As I said maybe your too alert."

Bryana was breathing hard. "My fault. It was an accident."

I saw Bryana shivered.

"Are you cold", I said, taking one step closer.

Bryana flinched and yanked her wrist out of my grip, still breathing hard.

"Are you sure your-"

"I'm FINE Jonathan."

Bryana turned around. "I got startled that's all. Let's keep moving."

I slowly put my hand down and trudged behind her.

"What happened to you after we got separated?", she asked.

"Oh, you know the usual that happens to people when hey get separated from their comrades. I was knocked out for who knows how long, was dehydrated and starving, nearly died. Pretty normal stuff.", I said. "Also got sponsored."

"What?", Bryana said.

"Ms. Elliot sent some food and medicine for Rick, said a sponsor got through to her and my team. It's shocking but there's actually someone outside my small reserve of friends and family who don't want me to die. What about you?"

"I didn't get anything.", she said.

"Well, that ain't fair. You're telling me that your mentor has no interest in your well being that he doesn't even try to get you a sponsor or send you something himself?"

"Gabriel believes in surviving on your own with absolutely no body to help you. if you need help then you shouldn't have got yourself into the situation in the first place. To help asking for help brings you down. You either make it on your own or you die."

I stopped, "Is that what he told you?"

Bryana also stopped walking. "Yeah it is"

"And he's really gonna stick with that even when's it's so clearly obvious that something is deeply bothering you to the point where you are struggling to be near much less communicate with another human being? To the point where you're pretty much on the verge of coming out of this with PTSD, he'd dismiss you as weak and have nothing to do with you? You're gonna stick to that?"