Chapter 5: Infernal Sovereign

Mura finally reached his destination after spending all morning traveling to Ashuradō. He had taken the bullet train, which was pretty crowded and uncomfortable due to being packed full of passengers. Afterwards his journey consisted of getting lost several times. Either that or having run-ins with multiple unsavory people who either insulted him or picked a fight.

But after all that hardship, his journey was about to pay off. Before him stood a massive circular stadium that was built not unlike a tower, sporting several spires that extended high above the clouds. This was the Zoroaster Memorial Arena, named after the third emperor of Yomi. Zoroaster was a giant of a man, immensely powerful and brutal in his tactics. He enjoyed spending his weekends sparring with and battling anyone that was brave enough. Ironically, he met his end after a fierce struggle with pneumonia.

Mura walked through the automatic doors that opened into the stadium, leading into a luxurious lobby. It felt more like the foyer of an expensive hotel, lined with fine red carpeting, hand-carved reception desks and multiple chandeliers. Taken aback by this unexpected sight, Mura looked around for a sign pointing him in the right direction. He approached a man with slicked back hair wearing a black tuxedo.

"Excuse me, where can I find the desk to sign up for the, uh... the tournament?" Mura asked, a bit flustered. He felt slightly intimidated, as if he had shown up for a grand ball dressed in rags.

"The registration desk is over there, sir..."

Mura looked over to where the suited man was pointing. There was a golden sign clearly marked 'Registration' over a large wooden counter. In front of it was a massive line filled with warriors looking to test their mettle.

"O-Oh, uh, thanks!"

Mura looked down at the floor, trying to hide his embarrassment. The air conditioning in the lobby helped cool the warmth spreading across his cheeks.

—Dammit! I need to get a grip! Seriously, I've been in several scraps before. This won't be any different, right? Just a little bit tougher, that's all. I just need to think straight and use my wits.

Mura stood in the back of the line. A massive brutish demon stood in front of him. He was shirtless and had a colossal battle axe strapped to his muscular back. Mura gulped and felt the anxiety build up in his chest like a flood escaping from a broken dam. He closed his eyes and took several deep breaths.

After almost forty minutes, Mura reached the front of the counter. At last, he could get this over with.

"One registration ticket please." He said proudly, finally over his initial fears.

A short old man with spectacles looked at Mura from behind the desk. Perched atop a chair, he gazed at the paperwork in front of him.

"Name?"

"Mura."

The old man scribbled down the information with an oversized quill pen.

"... Just Mura? No surname?"

"Nah, don't have one. I don't belong to any clans, families or anything like that."

The man nodded and asked Mura several more questions.

"Date of birth?"

"May 27th, 200 B.C."

"Blood type?"

"AB. I also like owls and my favorite color is scarlet."

The old man looked up, his expression unmoving as Mura beamed. He wasn't the type for jests, it seemed.