Chapter 50: Ruin in Extravagance, Part 1

Dōtonbori, Osaka — September 3rd, 3:21pm

Dōtonbori, Osaka — September 3rd, 3:21pm. The city had been established nearly five centuries ago by an entrepreneur named Yasui Dōton, who wished to increase commerce in the region. Ever since, it became a hotbed of entertainment and cuisine throughout the ages. As time raced onwards, the sleepless city adapted. Now nearing the new 22nd century, Dōtonbori embraced the future thoroughly.

Lining every corner and street were holographically-projected signs and LED screens. Plastered across skyscrapers, advertisements played on repeat to the beat of aeromobiles zooming by. Ever since the advent of the self-driving car, companies took advantage of drivers no longer needing to concentrate. Now one could find distractions across the sky and ground, trying to capture the attention of tourists and citizens alike.

Types of ads that were especially popular were the holograms that made it seem like your vehicle was about to drive through a large creature's mouth or anime characters fighting before your eyes. The gimmick had become a fad recently and never seemed to grow old, especially on the commute to work.

Cutting through one of these immersive advertisements was a floating podcar, one of many that began their descent amidst the clear afternoon sky. Underneath the pods was a bullet train that had currently entered the station ahead, outpacing the hovering private compartments. One by one, each pod flew into the station through a highly detailed entranceway; docking in an orderly line.

The pods locked in placed with the hiss of air brakes meeting the ears of the passengers inside.

"Arrived at: Shinsaibashi Station," a female voice said through the speakers inside before repeating the sentence again in English.

The doors of each pod slid open with a dinging noise, allowing salarymen, tourists and families to walk out into the eternally bustling station. One of these men was different than the others around him, however. Dressed in a slick, modern black coat and matching slacks, he adjusted the buttons on his red dress shirt so the collar remained loose and casual.

The man was Fifth in the Jikininki Ten: Kishin the Golden Devil. He had retired his usual outfit in favor of less archaic attire. His red eyes were masked behind a pair of designer sunglasses with tinted lenses and a gilded frame.

He signed happily and breathed in the familiar scents of the city he frequented so often.

"Ahh, home sweet home."

Unfortunately for most, the nearest teleportation drop from Yomi was located in Sumiyoshi. However, Kishin wasn't like most demons. He enjoyed the ride over every time, taking in the sights and anticipating the changes that occurred since he last visited. Having been one of few demons born on Earth, the shores that served as his birthplace would later become Osaka. Kishin had witnessed its rise over the course of eons and had always considered the area his true home, not Yomi.

The Jikininki began his lackadaisical stride through the station, twisting the rippled substream ring on his left hand back and forth using his fingers. He wasn't the only supernatural creature in the city, he was far from it. Kishin was currently following a lead he had been given from imperial reconnaissance. The lead in question was supposedly of a Goetia presence there in Dōtonbori.