Chapter 45: Justice For All, Part 4

"The Court calls the case of the Holy Empire of Yomi vs

"The Court calls the case of the Holy Empire of Yomi vs. Mura of Gakidō to order. Let us begin," Judge Nidar proclaimed before continuing. "We thank the jury for their attendance today. I'm happy you could arrive at such short notice."

Lamia nodded silently and Kishin sat with his arms crossed.

"Firstly, Mr. Mura, do you fully know of the charges you have been convicted of?"

Mura sat in his chair nodding with the mask over his face.

"Might I ask that my client have his facial restraints removed, so that he can properly answer?"

Nergal turned and scowled.

"You wish for him to chant incantations at us, Naraka?" the Jikininki spat in disapproval.

Judge Nidar decided to reply on behalf of his friend.

"With all due respect, Minister, he is detained in a court of law containing several of Yomi's most powerful men and women. If he wished to attack us, we'd might as well skip straight to the execution."

"Fine by me either way..." Nergal growled, his sunken eyes piercing through Mura.

Naraka bowed thankfully before preceding to remove Mura's mask and setting it down on the table with an audible clank.

"Yes, I do," Mura finally answered.

"And do you know that such a conviction of high treason, being passed by His Majesty, will be met with either exile from Yomi and her allies or death?"

"I was informed of that, yes."

"Lastly, do you know that in the case of a felon convicted of high treason, you may waive your right to a courtroom trial and instead receive a trial by combat?"

"Yes, I do," Mura answered again.

"Do you wish to receive a trial by combat in hope of receiving a blessing from Lord Kagutsuchi?" Judge Nidar asked.

Mura had heard of the Empire's "trials by combat" from Crow a few days ago. They promised the guilty a ray of hope if they could defeat the empire's champion. Kill the champion and it would be declared that Kagutsuchi had mercy on the felon, allowing them to walk free. The catch was that for eons, the champion of the empire was an invincible monster simply known as the "Great Worm". Countless hopeful souls chose to fight against the beast, but ultimately each one died unsuccessfully. Choosing such an outcome was merely opting for a quick and painful demise.

"No, I do not."

"Very well, the Court does find that the defendant has knowingly and voluntarily waived his right to a trial by combat on the charge of high treason. As such, the trial shall now commence. I'll hear from the Empire's representative first. In the meantime, input from the defendant is no longer required."