Chapter 11: Battle for Glory! Mura vs. Behemoth, Part 1

It was a sleepless night for many fans, anticipating the chance to witness their favorite combatants battle it out. Mura and Lilith also had trouble finding rest, but it was due to the dread that awaited them. They had previously witnessed the true strength of Behemoth, a seemingly unstoppable monster. Lilith tossed and turned, trying to snuff out any anxiety that quelled within. Mura's mind however was racked trying to figure out a strategy.

—He showed us that grisly display on purpose, but why? Behemoth must have the utmost confidence that he'll win this tournament. His unique ability is turning his skin into metal... And when he changes into that demonic form, he gets bigger and his body develops plates, like an armadillo.

He thought about possible weaknesses Behemoth could have from the footage he could remember, running over mock scenarios in his head until he eventually passed out from exhaustion.

The day of the finals had begun. Every seat inside the Zoroaster Memorial Stadium was sold out and citizens eagerly squirmed in their chairs waiting for the match to start. As Mura and Lilith walked into the waiting room, they passed Dagon Jinn sitting in a makeup chair while assistants applied his foundation. He sipped a glass of brandy, speaking to the helpers with a much less jovial and enthusiastic tone.

—Just like a true celebrity, all smiles in front of the camera and an insufferable dick backstage.

Mura went over the idea he had formulated earlier in his head, one that could possibly save their asses. It was a risky gamble, but it was all or nothing at this point. He had already clued Lilith in on this plot and all they could hope for was that it played out to perfection.

When the time came to enter the arena, Mura and Lilith wordlessly prepared for battle. There was nothing to say, for their fear had turned into determination. A determination to survive and win.

Mura grabbed his spear after handing Lilith something he picked out earlier from the weapons cache. He nodded to her with a smile as she returned the gesture.

"Good luck out there, Mura."

"You too."

With a fist bump, they fused together in a brilliant flash. Mura walked out into the arena, being received like a war hero returning home. Everyone cheered for him, some even holding up signs that had his name or image on them. He smirked, not about to let Behemoth intimidate him.

"And here he is, folks! The second finalist in this wonderful tournament of ours, Mura and Lilith! And whoa-ho, looks like they're already fused together and ready for action!"

Mura spun his spear and pointed it at the audience, causing boisterous applause to erupt from the stadium. In the opposite corner of the battlefield, Behemoth sat on the ground looking up at Mura. He had already been announced and was just treating the field that so many had died on in the past as his personal boudoir.

"About time you arrived, Mura! Pretty rude, making a man wait so long to kill you. I'm dying of eagerness over here!" Behemoth spat out with a chuckle, taking his time to stand up.

His nonchalant attitude just pissed Mura off even more. He grit his teeth, glaring at the murderer while his veins pulsed with white energy. Behemoth whistled for Suzu, who was waiting alongside him. He gripped the top of her head with one hand, causing a yellow flash of light to emit as they fused together. Mura shielded his eyes from the glare and when he uncovered them, Behemoth stood proudly cracking his knuckles. His veins were glowing with a golden hue, like Mura had seen on the television yesterday.

"Do the contestants have any final words to each other before the battle begins? I should remind you both that unlike the previous matches, forfeiting is prohibited here. We wouldn't want to deprive anyone of their entertainment, now would we?" Dagon Jinn said with a laugh while motioning the audience to join in.