Chapter 30: That Long Summer Night, Part 6

Shuten's Cave, Kokuana Forest — 8:30 pm

Shuten's Cave, Kokuana Forest — 8:30 pm. Tomoe lie at the Poacher's feet as Shuten aimed his supernatural bow at Mura and Lilith. The duo were currently stuck, cornered within the demon's lair.

"Listen close, Jikininki. I'll give you the girl back, but in exchange you tell your superiors the killer was a normal human. If you refuse my terms, well... I'll just have to take your spines as well~♥" Shuten said, his foot pressing into Tomoe's motionless body.

Mura swallowed the saliva that had been accumulating in his throat before weighing over his options.

—This guy is a killer, a thorough one. Tomoe was his mark, else he wouldn't have tried to kill her in the first place. So that being said, even if we agree he'll never let her live in the long run. He'll shoot me or Lilith before we can attack, so that leaves just Tomoe herself...

"Drop your knife, Lilith." Mura demanded in a calm tone.

"But Mura—"

"Just do it, we have no other choice."

Shuten chuckled as the yokai's dagger dropped to the ground. He looked over at Mura, motioning for him to do the same.

"Go ahead Mura, get rid of that sword too... After that, put your hands up and remove your slipstream ring," he said while rapping his fingers on the bow impatiently.

Mura complied, dismissing his sword which caused it to fade away. Once it had, he pulled off the ebony ring and dropped it on the ground.

"There, see? Don't worry, I'll tell my boss it was some random guy killing these girls. But, I need an act of good faith from you too." Mura slowly said, keeping his hands up. He just had to keep stringing Shuten along, building up his trust.

"Oho~? What shall I do for you, Mura~♥"

"Let me heal the girl so she doesn't bleed out. I couldn't save my intended target, so I'd like to prevent any further bloodshed."

Shuten let out a heavy sigh, letting go of his bow. The nocked arrow disappeared as did the primary weapon, vanishing into a dark haze of smoke. Shuten bent over Tomoe, grasping her by the bolt still lodged in her chest. With a brutal twist of his hand, he ripped the arrow out; causing a splash of blood to escape from the wound like a geyser.

Mura grit his teeth at the act of savagery, grabbing ahold of Lilith so they could fuse together.

"Try casting any other spells other than a healing one. Go ahead, I want to have the bones of a Jikininki on my belt," he laughed. With a swift movement, he kicked Tomoe's body across the cave floor over to Mura.

Mura immediately fused with Lilith and placed his hands on the young human girl's wound.

"Jigadō Number Ninety-Five: Renewal!"