Chapter 20: Birth of the Bloodstrider, Part 3

The inferno roared furiously like a mighty lion. Flames licked up meters into the air as Lilith jumped back, stunned at everything that had transpired in what seemed like seconds.

Suzu had been their enemy; antagonized them at every point since they first met. But now, she was dead. Lilith's pupils shrunk at the revelation. She had killed a living person. It was out of self-defense, but this was much different than luskrats.

Fighting the urge to vomit, Lilith pushed the thoughts aside into the back of her brain for the time being. Right now, Mura was still poisoned and possibly on the verge of dying. She would have to venture through the blazing flames to get to Suzu's corpse, searching her for the antidote. Steeling herself, Lilith clenched her fists and raced to find a way to pass the fiery barricade.

❇ ❇ ❇

Tel Megiddo, Castle Town — Five minutes earlier. Mura watched paralyzed from the poison as Behemoth loomed over him. Cackling like a maniac, Behemoth began to transform into his Primal Release form. Suzu had fled with the antidote while Lilith gave chase.

—I can't lose! Not again!

Blood flew from Mura's mouth as he screamed in pain. Behemoth pinned Mura with his massive foot, which by itself must have weighed one-hundred kilograms.

"So long, you annoying little insect." Behemoth growled, his voice contorted from his demonic form.

—Come... on... I have to tap into that power from the tournament! Just like Naraka taught me... on the verge like this... I need to find a way!

Mura closed his eyes as the pain faded away, along with the sounds of Behemoth's taunts and the fire crackling.

When Mura opened his eyes, he was in a familiar setting he recognized. A white space, devoid of dimension or reality. In the center was the figure he had seen during his coma. It was now sitting on a crimson throne, carved from a translucent, sickly material.

"What do you ask of me...?" The figure spoke, as smog escaped from its beautiful black lips.

"I ask... For the power to win! I want to kill this man, who has tormented and ruined the lives of countless others!" Mura said, bowing before the figure on his hands and knees.

"Give me this power and I'll... I'll be in your debt."

The figure smirked, lifting its chin from its fist and standing up.

"Very well... I shall grant you this power you seek. But know this..."

The demon walked down from its throne and lifted Mura's chin up with its finger, forcing him to gaze into its eyeless face.

"One needn't ask for a favor from oneself..."

Mura's eyes snapped open as he awoke in reality once again. Behemoth raised foot to crush him, a wicked smile plastered to his face. Mura felt an unearthly power course through his veins. More power than he had ever felt when fused with Lilith.

Pebbles began to slowly levitate from the earth where Mura lay; all while a black aura enshrouded his body. As Behemoth's massive foot began its decent towards its target, Mura touched the dirt beneath him.

In an instant that stunned everyone watching, from Behemoth to the audience in Tel Megiddo, Mura disappeared from sight.

Behemoth's foot slammed into a gloppy puddle of mud and dirt, becoming submerged in the glue-like substance.

"What the hell?! Where'd the bastard go??" Behemoth bellowed in confusion.

The audience watching from the doorway murmured in confusion. Kishin leaned forward slightly, a look of shock plastered on his pale face.

Canticle: Code CaligulaOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara