Chapter 26: That Long Summer Night, Part 2

Ema, Monido — Three hours earlier. Mura and Lilith had ordered a ticket for the podcar station, causing Lilith to become disappointed they had replaced the train that was once there. However her glum demeanor quickly changed back once she actually saw a podcar for the first time.

They were roughly two and a half meters in length with simple sliding doors, windows and two cushioned benches opposite of each other within. The pod was attached to a rail track, much like the bullet trains Lilith talked about on their walk over.

Luckily today was slow for business, so the both of them could enjoy the pod all to themselves. Mura and Lilith were pleasantly surprised by the doors closing automatically as a woman's voice played over the speaker installed above them.

"Destination: Ema City; arrival time: sixteen minutes. Please, enjoy the ride~" the automated voice chimed out.

The podcar took off smoothly as Mura and Lilith looked out the windows, watching as they departed off the mountainside and along the track towards the glimmering city. Mura felt a tad dizzy being so high up and gripped his seat's cushion. They towered above forests and small ponds as a flock of birds flew underneath them, appearing more like ants from the current altitude.

Lilith boisterously awed over the sights, taking them in as Mura closed his eyes and waited for the ride to be over. Not too long after, they neared their destination. Mura looked out the windows once more, now being closer to the ground but still three stories high.

Flying cars went past them in designated lines lit with neon lights. They weren't like the automobiles in Yomi, as Mura could spot several of the drivers talking. Some were eating and others had their feet up on the dashboard whilst asleep. The common similarity was that every vehicle lacked a steering wheel.

—Even the cars are automated here, huh?

The podcar's speed slowed and led them towards a large building that acted as a port. There was a visible square cutout of the building for the track and pods to lead inside of, allowing passengers to disembark indoors. As they approached, Mura took his eyes off the cars and was overwhelmed by the abundance of screens.

Approximately six gigantic screens covered every building, taking up as much real estimate as they could. Ads flashed by in rapid succession from building to building for human products that escaped the demon's understanding. One advertisement was broadcasted as a large hologram of a woman's head, displaying glowing eyes and a perfect smile.

Mura tried to read what the product was for, but the podcar retreated inside of the dimly lit docking station. No light was emitted from the outside world here, causing the interior of the pod to become pitch dark until four blue LED lights flashed on inside.

"Oooh, spooky," Lilith joked.

The podcar came to a complete stop as they heard a gasp of pressure releasing underneath them. With the air brakes engaged, the doors slid open with an expected dinging sound.

"Arrived at: Ema City. Please enjoy your stay~"

Mura took Lilith by the hand and walked out, blinking several times as he tried to walk off his vertigo from earlier. The duo looked around the station, which resembled a large domed interior stretching up to incredible heights. It lacked any windows or outside illumination; instead having fluorescent ceiling lights above and glowing white circles lining the ground.

Several lights were along the walls as well, making it rather easing on the eyes and not difficult to see. Numerous people in both business and casual attire walked throughout the station, either transferring or exiting through escalator ramps in the distance. Multiple screens were placed around showcasing maps of the city and even a hologram of an obnoxiously adorable cartoon girl giving directions.