Chapter 43: Justice For All, Part 2

Kishin blinked in surprise. He had figured that Mura had no chance in reclaiming his spot as Tenth, but to be replaced so quickly and by the captain of Onryō Squadron no doubt. Kirin's armor was an alabaster white that glimmered in the soft light like a polished pearl.

"What do you mean by 'final replacement', your Majesty?" Wendigo inquired.

Mara sat quietly on his grandiose throne, motioning with his pale hand for Nergal to speak.

"In his wisdom, His Majesty has come to a decision on our ever-present matter: the unstable position of Tenth within this organization," Nergal said. "Henceforth by Emperor Mara's decree, promotion into the Jikininki Ten is barred. Only by the Emperor's hand may a successor assume the role."

"Makes sense to me," Grendel spat. "When anyone with enough brownie points can join this outfit, you'll start to see it crumble from within."

"Precisely," crooned Mara. "The previous method was an unstable set of affairs set into place by the confused and politically correct. Our nation is at a point where any weakness is no longer tolerated. The shinigami nation of Nirvana plot war against us because we decided to make a change. I believe the most deserving of the tile should belong to our promising Captain, who is always ready to lead the charge."

"Why was that Mura lad removed anyway?" Jormungandr bellowed, his arms crossed.

"He was given a test to prove his loyalty to the Empire and his fealty to me," Mara explained. "The whelp failed both, whereas Kirin passed in his stead. That is why I had her accompany him throughout this mission. If one Tenth failed, I would always have a potential spare on standby."

Kishin was inwardly revolted at how Mara treated them like his tools, but kept his mind clear of such thoughts. He wasn't sure what powers the Emperor possessed and right now more than ever, he needed to maintain his absolute trust.

Kirin herself decided to add her opinion into the pot as well.

"I for one wish I could have executed the boy for his treasonous display, your Majesty. He brought nothing but dishonor on this sacred organization."

Lamia made a wry smile at Kirin before placing one hand over the other in an earnest display.

"I'm just happy to have another female on the team. The more, the merrier~" she said. "Isn't that right, Llorona?"

She looked over at the magical projection seated upon the throne belonging to Sixth. It was a woman of slightly above-average height dressed entirely in a white fur-collared coat with a matching hood. Her face was obscured, wrapped tightly in an indigo scarf that covered everything below the bridge of her nose. The woman's bangs hung down slightly from the hood, revealing lavender locks of hair with highlights of dark cobalt.

"I completely forgot Llorona was even here! Hahaha, don't worry if she's a mute around you, Kirin. She never talks to anyone," Wendigo laughed; his razor-sharp fangs reflecting the lamp's glow from above.

Llorona just sat there, motionless. She blinked every now and then, but remained still and quiet. A bright warm light flickered over her torso every so often, indicating that wherever she was currently required a campfire.

"But yeah, Kirin. We've all been tested before at some point, so it wasn't just you," Wendigo spoke again, trying to get on the newbie's good side.

"Some more than others..." Jormungandr spoke, glaring out of the corner of his eye at Grendel.

"What?? I can't help it that I'm simply better than all of you at well, everything!" Grendel mockingly apologized, shrugging with an obnoxious smile.