Chapter 24: A Wonderful World

Mura eyed the polished ring on his finger, smiling lightly to himself. The impact of the last few days hadn't really donned on him until now. He truly was a Jikininki. A weapon that surpassed priceless was in his possession and he was about to travel to an entirely new world. The weight of Mura's newfound title would be a heavy burden to bear, but definitely one worth the effort.

"Hey, would ya lookie there! Here comes the captain!" Old Hob said with a shout of surprise.

Around the bending path they could hear the faint clicking sound of boots approaching. Soon enough a figure with ashen-grey skin met their gaze as she walked towards them. The woman was roughly Mura's height with long light blue hair that resembled the crystal clear waters of the ocean. Her matching eyes sparkled in the sunlight, like two sapphires refined to perfection.

"Greetings, Tenth. I will be your instructor and guide for this operation. My name is Kirin, but you may refer to me as 'sir' or 'captain'. Understood?"

Both Mura and Lilith were a bit taken aback by her strict formalness. This truly was a trained officer, not some run-of-the-mill mercenary.

"Of course, Captain. My name is Mura, this is my friend and Thrall Lilith."

Lilith's eyes narrowed in on the lack of any bags or food in the captain's possession.

"The smithy here said you were out getting lunch?" She said as her stomach growled.

"I was, just not any for you. My humblest apologies," Kirin said with the most unapologetic tone she could muster.

Kirin was dressed in peculiar armor that Mura had never seen before. He looked down at her waist, where a small cape bearing the emblem of the empire was attached to her right hip. She wore black shorts with white boots and stockings, along with a black turtleneck top. It was made from thick fabric that was currently zipped up; dividing through the collar itself down to the breastbone.

Overtop this was some kind of armor that hugged her abdomen, with suspender-like straps over her chest. What struck Mura the most were the poofy shoulders of her ensemble, emblazoned with golden arcane sigils.

"They're magic-repelling seals, they protect my entire body from nearly any type of spell that could be hurled my way," Kirin explained, clearly noticing the stares fixated on her clothing.

Mura blushed lightly, slightly embarrassed and hoping she didn't assume he was ogling her body. She crossed her gloved arms at Mura, the black material completely covering any skin she had on her upper limbs.

"I take it you've received your weapon?"

Mura nodded in response as Lilith did the same.

"Very well, farewell Mister Hob. We must be on our way, come now Mura," Kirin bluntly stated.

She began to immediately walk away from them, forcing Mura and Lilith to quickly walk after her.

"Thank you so much, Old Hob!" Lilith shouted behind her.

"Yes! Thanks again!" Mura yelled back.

Old Hob simply laughed and waved goodbye, watching as they left his humble workshop.

❇ ❇ ❇

Outskirts of Ashuradō — An hour later. Mura, Lilith and Kirin had walked a few kilometers to the outer reaches of the city; across the large bridge connecting the metropolis to the lush plains of Yomi.

Along the way, Kirin briefed the two on their mission and the locations and details they'd need. She explained a few faux pas to avoid while in Japan and aside from that, spent the remainder of the time in complete silence as Mura and Lilith dragged behind her.