Chapter 17

After that, I had never been more careful about walkers. That was the closest I've come since I was eight. And after the incident, I never trusted to be okay ever again.
I walked over and got dinner and sat down with tenn.
"Hey, I heard what happened. I hope you're okay." He said smiling.
"I'm okay. Thanks tenn. you're a good kid."
"Thanks." We are in silence and as the night grew darker we all say around and played a game of truth or dare.
"Ha I win!" I shout "who lost?"
"Ruby." Tenn says.
"Okay ruby, what are you most scared of?"
"I'm scared of death." She said plainly.
"Wow. That was dark." Louis scoffed.
"It's true. I am." Ruby replied.
"Well we all are. I'd think you were crazy if you weren't." I shrugged.
"Pretty fair, pretty fair." Louis nodded.
"Okay, 1 2 3." I placed my card down. 2 of hearts.
"I win!" Louis cheered.
He looked at my card and then at me.
"Okay y/n. What's your backstory? Why are you here?"
My heart sunk and I looked down.
"You really wanna know?" I looked at everyone. They nodded. I sighed and started to remember.
"I try to forget my past as it wasn't good. Before the outbreak I lived with my mom and dad. They loved me, very much. But my dad always seemed suspicious. He was always on edge and saying that he had to prepare. We didn't know for what at the time but now we do. My dad was a biologist, studied disease and the immune system. We found out later that he was in on the reason that this whole thing started, well... his lab in fact"
Everyone's eyes widened
"Him and a series of other biologists who were testing a poison, dropped a vile and it cut one of the others, a little bit of the poison soaked in and in a matter of minutes the guy was on the floor convulsing. He tried to stop it but it was too much for him to handle so he just ran, he left the lab and ran home. He was in a rushed panic as he walked in through the door, and my seven year old self didn't understand. He packed everything on the kitchen and in the cabinets and opened the basement door that I was never aloud to look at, let alone touch. He led me downstairs and I looked to see an entire bunker that I ended up staying in for three years. God thinking of that place makes me feel sick now" I sunk my head down but continued anyway "after that when I was older I ventured out. We were running out of food and i was starving. I had gotten out of the house and down the block with two bags of food to bring home when I heard a walker. I turned and it was on top of me. I slapped its face away and it's teeth got caught on my finger. I screamed and ran back home. I got inside, gave them the food and then my dad noticed the bite." I looked at the absence of my finger and saw Louis's face when he realized how it happened.
"My dad flipped out and threatened to throw me out or worse. My mom wouldn't let him but he won anyway. I was thrown out the next morning with nothing but a couple cans of food and the clothes on my back. A group found me not too long after and they decided it was best to cut my finger off before infection spread. They said I was lucky that I had the immune system I did because if I was weaker then this, I would have been dead in less then two hours. They helped me. They saved my life. But later, as everyone does, they kicked me out. And that's how I made it here. Remember when you guys saw me run to the gates?" They all nodded "that was the day after everyone made me leave. That was the day where my life changed forever. And now I'm here."
Everyone was in shock at how I came here.
"Holy shit." Louis muttered.
"You're one hell of a badass." Ruby laughed.
I laughed back and Mitch was astonished. Tenn was doodling, I assumed he checked out a little after the depressing story started.
"But yeah." I shrugged and tapped my hands on my thighs.
"Well, now that we are all depressed let's lighten the mood." Louis chirped.
I smiled and he set down another card. "Oh ho! Louis! You're getting a question asked!" Mitch smirked.
"Okay louis, who do you think is the most beautiful person you've ever met?" Mitch asks
Louis's eyes widened and he turned red.
"Uh, it's someone here." He started.
"Uh huh..." Mitch poked more
"And they've got y/c hair."
Ruby wiggled her eyebrows and tenn smiled.
"And that's it." Louis finished.
"COME ON!!!" Everyone shouted.
"Okay okay.... its y/n."