Chapter 29

The next morning we went to the broken burnt down base in search of mitch's body. We searched and searched but couldn't find it.
"Maybe it.... ya know... blew up?" Louis asked. I winced at the thought but knew that couldn't have happened. After an hour or two we stopped searching. We gave up and went back but on our way I thought I saw something. I walked toward it and it was a person.
"Hello?" I asked.
No one answered. I walked over and rolled over the person. It was Mitch.
"Oh god." I said, my breath shaky as tears come flooding out.
"We have to bury him." I say.
"Okay."
Louis picked up Mitch and walks him back to the school. He sets him down and we wait to bury him while tenn makes a cross for him. Louis ruby and I were inside when we heard a scream.
We ran out and Mitch was on top of tenn. He was a walker. "Get him off me!" Tenn shrieked. In a rush of panic I took the shovel that he was gonna be buried with and I whacked Mitch over the head. Mitch's skull cracked and he fell over. Tenn got up and walked behind Louis. I cried once I realized that I had hurt Mitch. "I'm so sorry Mitch. I'm sorry." I dug his grave and Louis helped me put his body in the hole. We covered him up and I placed the locket on the cross.
"Mitch, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry that you died. I'm sorry I let you go. I'm sorry that I couldn't save you." I felt like my heart was being torn out "I know sometimes you were a dick to me but still, I love you like family. And you'll always be my brother." Tears fell out of my eyes and onto his grave. "I'm sorry." I whispered one last time before I got up and walked into my room.