Ch2. Evening at the Soccer Field

[photo credit: World Wide Stars]

 "See ya, Jen! Bye, Liz!" The dance mates chimed as they trickled out of the practice room. Jennie was president of the varsity dance club, so she had to be the last to leave after practice to lock up the dance studio. More often than not, Jennie would use this chance to practise just a little more. And Lisa, being her best friend, often stayed back as company. This time, however, practice was too draining for any more solo revision.

"Phew! Winter goodies really got me – I'm exhausted." Jennie smiled as she locked up the studio.

"Tell me about it. I saw stars a couple of times." Lisa panted, as she checked her phone. "Hey, I'm gonna make a move first yeah? Meeting Rosé for dinner."

"Awwww, that's sweet. Catch you later then!" Jennie side-hugged Lisa and they parted ways for the day.

On her way back to the dormitory, Jennie passed the track, which enclosed the soccer field in the middle of it. It seemed that soccer practice was ongoing as the players repeatedly passed, dribbled, and took a shot at the goal.

Jennie contemplated on going for a short run on the track. She could use it to ease her muscles and listen to music as food for her soul. As she stood by the track thinking, her eyes caught sight of Jisoo decked in a white jersey kit. Jisoo's hair was tied up in a high ponytail, and her features were accentuated beautifully in the evening sun.

Wow, I guess I can see why people fall for her, Jennie thought to herself.

Jisoo received a smooth pass and easily sent the ball straight into the top corner of the goal post. Her team mates cheered and raised their hands up for high-fives, causing her to flash her pearly white teeth as she returned the gesture to each raised palm. One look at the infamous athlete smiling like that, and the corners of Jennie's mouth twitched upwards unknowingly. It was contagious, really.

*WHISTLE BLOWS!!*

Ouch, Jennie covered her ears and checked her phone.

600pm.

Guess I should get dinner instead of a run. As Jennie looked up towards the field again to see the coach debriefing the team, she glanced in Jisoo's direction and found her fully focused on what the coach was delivering. Jisoo's brows were slightly furrowed as she nodded occasionally.

Cute, Jennie instinctively thought and smiled to herself. She did not know how long she stood there watching, but the soccer team was ending their debrief now as they began gathering the soccer balls. Alright, enough creeping around. Time for dinner!

Jennie took out her phone from her pocket and continued on her way. Just then, a soccer ball rolled past in front of her feet and stopped against the step of the bleachers. Jennie looked curiously towards the field to see if she should kick it over. Instead, she saw Jisoo jogging towards her while lifting the hem of her jersey tee to wipe her face. Now, Jennie would have thought it gross and unhygienic on any other occasion, but this time the fact that Jisoo's defined abs were peeking out momentarily froze her mind. The sheen of perspiration on Jisoo did not help.

Jisoo stopped in front of Jennie and tilted her head with a raised brow.

"You... okay there? Sorry if it hit you." Jisoo's low gentle voice brought Jennie out of her freeze. Jennie noticed Jisoo was panting lightly from training. That voice, so velvety, so... seductive? Get a grip, Jennie! Jennie shook her head slightly.

"No, no, it didn't. D-Don't worry about it." Jennie stuttered.

Jisoo smirked and nodded slightly, before picking up the ball. Then, she looked directly into Jennie's eyes and held the gaze for a second, before giving her that same wink and jogging back on to the field.