Ch56. Hide and Seek

"Wake up, Jen."

Caught somewhere between dreamland and reality, Jennie felt a gentle shake at her shoulder. She stirred from her slumber and squinted at the intense light shining down upon her face.

"We're here." She recognized it as Lisa's voice now.

She was about to ask where her mother was when reality sank in and she remembered they had requested Jiyong for security guards to drive Dara back to her humble home before the rest of them embarked on this journey, so now Jennie was in Rosé's car and she must have fallen asleep on the long ride here to San Francisco. She had not slept much for the past week ever since Jisoo left without a trace.

She turned her face from the window to escape the blinding midday sun, and stretched the sleep out of her joints before climbing out of the vehicle.

Although Rosé had mentally prepared Jennie for the plausible scenario that Jisoo and her dad could have relocated office and home because she could not get through their usual phone lines, Jennie was determined to leave no stones unturned – she would grab even the slimmest of chances to find Jisoo.

But still, she could not hide her disappointment when they reached Seunghyun's investigation office only to find it closed, boarded up, and without a signboard.

"Oh, hi Rosé! Long time no see... I'm good, thank you... Hmm? Seunghyun and Jisoo? They've moved out two weeks ago. You don't know?" That was what the neighboring shop owner had said in Rosé's conversation with him.

Two weeks ago. It hurt Jennie to know Jisoo had plans long ago to disappear without telling anyone. It seemed Jennie never truly knew Jisoo, despite everything.

"Hey, we've still got her home to check out," Lisa gave Jennie a smile that was supposed to be encouraging but turned out apologetic.

Nonetheless, Jennie appreciated it and returned a smile with a little humour. "Yeah, she wouldn't be Jisoo if we could find her so easily."

When they arrived at Jisoo's home, they peered into the windows and saw what they had predicted but hoped against – the house was vacant, too. In fact, it was empty, void of life and belongings, only a few pieces of old furniture remained.

Jennie could not help the sigh that escaped her lips as she lowered herself on to the steps of the front porch. Rosé and Lisa followed suit and sat on either side of her, each wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

"Well," Jennie raised her shoulders to her ears and let them fall with an exhale, "the list of more than 58 PI firms will now come in handy, eh?" She nudged Lisa with her elbow and chuckled bitterly.

"Hate to break it to you, but," Rosé chewed on her bottom lip for a pause, "Jisoo's dad never publicizes his company online. No internet footprint at all, strictly only referrals – that's the way they roll."

Jennie's flicker of hope diminished that much more.

"And that's also why I finally gave in and agreed to bring you here," Rosé continued as she squeezed Jennie's arm. "I can't bear to let you drag my Lisa honey around on a wild goose chase now, can I?" She tried her best to lighten the mood and flashed a small cheeky grin.

"Aww, that's so sweet of you, my Rosie honey!" Lisa swooned uncontrollably and leant across Jennie to smooch her girlfriend on the lips. "I knew you wouldn't be so heartless."

"Excuse me, I'm still here, people," Jennie, who was squashed between the both of them, squeezed her arms out and pried them apart. "Get a grip on your hormones, ladies." She rolled her eyes and smiled, this time a little less bitterly.