Ch55. Where Are You

It was Sunday night, almost thirty-six hours since they discovered Jisoo was gone. Would she ever return to this penthouse of hers? Nobody dared to ask, especially not around Jennie.

That was probably why Lisa was posing this question to Rosé right now behind closed doors.

Sitting in bed next to her girlfriend, Rosé huffed through her nose, as she lowered her phone on to her lap. She had just sent Jisoo yet another message that was likely not going to be read any time soon.

"To be honest," Rosé inhaled deeply and exhaled again, "I don't think so."

She felt Lisa wriggle under the covers to rest her head on Rosé's shoulder. There was a silence that was neither uncomfortable nor easy.

"Why can't you just tell Jennie the location of Jisoo's home or her dad's office?"

Rosé sighed heavily and was about to reply the same thing she had been for the umpteenth time. But Lisa shot up her palm, "Okay, okay, I get it. Investigators' code of honour, I know, but...," it was Lisa's turn to sigh, "it just... pains me to see Jennie like this, you know?"

Rosé knew.

For the whole of yesterday after realizing Jisoo had left, Jennie had curled up in bed and cried her heart out. She barely moved from that fetal position. But since this morning, Jennie behaved as if none of yesterday ever happened – she woke up early for her run, came back for breakfast and a shower, busied with household chores and cleaning each corner, went out to buy lunch for everyone, spent the next 5 hours catching up on assignments, went out again to return with dinner, washed the dishes and finally retired to her room for the night.

Throughout this time, Jennie even struck up conversations, her tone normal and light, despite the slightly visible bags forming under her eyes. Rosé truthfully was beginning to worry, up until the brunette asked her casually over dinner, "Oh and um, Rosé? Can you do me a favour and text me the addresses for Jisoo's place and her dad's office in San Francisco later?"

Jennie's voice was so normal that any outsider would never have guessed that she was the same girl who sobbed her eyes out over Jisoo the very night before.

A tense silence fell over the dining table, except for Jennie's nonchalant munching as she waited for an answer. Suddenly all eyes were on Rosé, who scanned the faces and slowly swallowed her food.

"Well, uh," she coughed and adjusted in her seat, "Jisoo and her dad, they um, they move very often, you know, to stay low and pretty much invisible, as part of the job."

"Uh-huh," Jennie nodded leisurely and chewed on another spoonful, "that's fine, you can send me the latest addresses you know."

"Y-yeah, I could do that, but um..." This was the tough part. "I uh, I don't think Jisoo would like me to."

Another silence enveloped them, and this time, Jennie's munching faltered.

But in the next moment, she cocked her head and resumed her casual chewing, "Why not?"

"It's... this code of honour thing, that we keep as investigators. We don't reveal information unless explicitly permitted. I... I'm sorry, Jennie."

To her surprise, Jennie had simply shrugged it off, thanked her and then steered the conversation elsewhere, towards school and plans to move back to the dormitory since Dara could resume work soon.

After Dara and Jennie had gone back to their rooms, Lisa seemed to have taken over Jennie's curiosity and tried convincing Rosé to drop some clues, but Rosé had only declined and reiterated her difficult position stuck between a friend who wants to hide and a friend who wants to seek.