Ch49. Let's Write More of Us

From her interaction with him at the police station where they handled her case of attempted rape, Jennie had found Inspector Dong to be a respectable law enforcer, stoic yet willing to listen. When she discovered that he had been assigned to take charge of her burglary case as well, she felt assured, considering the two cases could be linked.

"You're indeed trained," his voiced was laced with a shadow of amusement, or so Jennie thought.

Jisoo sighed, exasperated, "Look, Inspector, whether or not you're telling the truth, I really don't see why you think we can help you. I'm sure you've dozens of better trained men who can do whatever job you have in mind."

The raven's annoyance was visibly on the rise, so Jennie moved her hand from the girl's knee and slipped it between Jisoo's fingers instead, adding a little squeeze. She smiled to herself when Jisoo squeezed back.

Surely, he doesn't mean harm? Jennie wondered if perhaps Jisoo was just being too cautious.

"No doubt they're all well-trained," the inspector stated matter-of-factly, "but you ladies have an advantage they don't – while they hunt the drug lords down, it seems that one of the drug lords is hunting you down."

"Isn't it always easier for others to come to you than for you to go to them, Miss Kim?"

----------

For the sake of Jennie's safety and the confidentiality of the mission, Jisoo and Rosé had agreed to withhold information from the police. In their statements, when asked if they had a suspect in mind, they answered no.

Who knew what Joohee would do to Jennie if provoked? Besides, Jisoo honestly did not have any strong evidence against Joohee at all.

So, it was no different when Inspector Dong was here in the couch opposite her – Jisoo kept her mouth zipped.

But the man had made a very compelling argument before he left the apartment:

1) If Jisoo was to tell him about the suspect she had in mind, together they could find out if this suspect truly was behind Jennie's cases and also if he or she was involved in the drug syndicate. If the suspect turned out to be indeed behind the attacks of Jennie, then Jisoo helping the inspector nab this suspect would mean erasing this threat in Jennie's life.

2) On the other hand, if the suspect was not actually behind the attacks, wouldn't that be scarier for Jennie? Wouldn't Jisoo want to know it had been someone else playing them in the dark all along? And helping the inspector would mean earlier discovery of this alarming knowledge.

Either way, it seemed they would benefit if they agreed to help the inspector.

Flipping the inspector's business card mindlessly between her fingers, Jisoo mulled over their options, while Rosé was summarizing the events to Lisa who had landed on her lap right after their guest had left.

"I don't think we should do it," Jennie said beside her. "I believe the police will eventually get to the bottom of things, it's just a matter of time. I trust them."

"But we may be able to help them solve these cases earlier, which will mean you'll be away from danger sooner."

"Jiyong's security will keep me safe."

Jisoo would like to believe that too, but her curiosity was always a problem, begging her to seek the truth. She sighed, "I guess you're right. I don't know, I just worry about you all the time."

"Thanks, but don't forget that I worry about you too. You're always running into danger."

That made Jisoo chuckle. "Just part of the job."