Ch44. The Whole Puzzle

The glistening eyes that were staring back at Rosé wrenched her heart but she was not sure what she should say or what she could reveal. In the room, she and Jisoo had rehearsed possible scenarios on how their audience would react, but none compared to the actual situation right now in which her mind jumbled up and her throat clamped tight.

"Why are you really here, Rosé?" Lisa sucked in her lips and crossed her arms in a display of indifference, but the rolling tears and the tremor in her voice betrayed her.

"Lisa, honey," Rosé's vision blurred uncontrollably with tears, as she shuffled forth and hesitantly reached for her girlfriend's arms, "I love you." She meant it with her entire being and if she could not get Lisa to see this, she would not know what to do.

Closing her eyes and shaking her head, Lisa pressed her lips into a thin line as a pained expression took over, drops of her tears flung away from her face. "I really want to believe you, but...," she blinked hard and looked up at the ceiling to uselessly collect her tears before casting her eyes sadly on the floor.

When her palms touched the skin on Lisa's upper arms, Rosé exhaled a breath she did not realize she had been holding. Lisa did not flinch, and Rosé counted her blessings – this was her chance to make it right by the love of her life.

"A year ago, I became your friend and later on your girlfriend. It was on purpose and I'm not proud of it, but I do what I have to do for a living, as a...," Rosé was suddenly assaulted with options she had to weigh.

Fuck it. No more secrets. "As a private investigator."

With still moistened eyes, Lisa turned to her but kept mum, as if prompting her to continue, so she did.

"Like Jisoo said, I'm on a case; so yes, I used you to gather information about potential long-lost daughters, and yes, I am the cliché agent who falls in love with the gorgeous unsuspecting girl, and yes I could've carried on as your friend instead of being so selfish and asking you to be mine, but no, there is simply no way I can ever know you and not want you, all to myself."

The tears were not stopping from Lisa's eyes and Rosé abruptly realized hers were trickling down too.

"I cannot apologize enough to let you know how sorry I am, but still I have to say," she stepped forward and moved her hands from Lisa's arms to envelope her beloved girl in a hug she wished could convey her raw honesty, "I'm so sorry, Lisa."

A choked sob escaped Lisa and then another, and Rosé did not know what else to do but hold the girl securely in her arms, as if the tightness of the hug would reduce the chances of the love of her life slipping away.

"Say something, honey, or scold me, or hit me, or ask me anything, I swear I will tell you nothing but the truth," desperation gushed from her but she did not care one bit.

After a wait that seemed like forever, Rosé finally heard the sniffling hoarse whisper by her ear, "Did you mean every night we spent together?"

"Every word, every 'I love you', every night and every day," she replied without missing a beat.

"Why me in the first place?" She felt a wet patch on her shoulder and the motion of Lisa wiping her face as the girl croaked her second question.

"Because you've the widest social circle on campus and your pulse on daily happenings is unrivalled." Honesty is the best policy.

With another pause in the air, Rosé almost cursed aloud for screwing things up.

But then the girl in her arms hummed against her shoulder and muttered, "Is that a nice way of saying I'm a gossip monger?"